Carbonation

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gsf77

Reaction score
I have two different wines in two different carboys. One (3 gal) has been sitting 8 months and the other (5 gal) has been sitting at least 9 months. I took a flashlight and saw small bubbles climbing up to the neck of the 5 gal blueberry so I knew to leave it alone. The 3 gal bronze (I call it old bronze) showed zero signs of any carbonation going on. I went to bottle it and then it started so I poured it back in the carboy. Tell me if I’m off track, my thinking is #1) don’t worry about the wine I poured back in the carboy because it’s still degassing, although very mildly. No movement in the air lock. #2) keep waiting (dang it!) :)

To help with degassing you can warm it up to low to mid 70's and vacuum rack it a couple times. Might take some additional sitting but as I prepare to rack at the three month mark (or four or five month) I'll wrap with a heating pad and warm it up to help release the CO2.

Cheers!
-johann

You need to determine if you are dealing with active fermentation or residual CO2. so let me ask some questions..

Is the wine clear? Have you been racking (is there a layer of sediment at the bottom of your containers? have you been keeping the wine cold (say, under 60 degrees)? and finally, is the wine even slightly sweet?

if not clear, if sweet, if there is a layer of sediment, and/or kept cold, then you may be dealing with active fermentation rather than residual CO2.

In both cases, it is beneficial to warm the wine to, say, 70 or 75 degrees.

For active fermentation, give the wine time, and wait for the wine to become clear.

For residual CO2, you may want to go further and either splash rack the wine, or even whip the wine to release the gas.

You need to determine if you are dealing with active fermentation or residual CO2. so let me ask some questions..

Is the wine clear? Have you been racking (is there a layer of sediment at the bottom of your containers? have you been keeping the wine cold (say, under 60 degrees)? and finally, is the wine even slightly sweet?

if not clear, if sweet, if there is a layer of sediment, and/or kept cold, then you may be dealing with active fermentation rather than residual CO2.

In both cases, it is beneficial to warm the wine to, say, 70 or 75 degrees.

For active fermentation, give the wine time, and wait for the wine to become clear.

For residual CO2, you may want to go further and either splash rack the wine, or even whip the wine to release the gas.

Thanks,

No there isn't any sediment nor is it clear. I racked it 3 times as the fermentation was proceeding. It isn't sweet - sweet nor is it dry. I'd say the temp has been in the 60s where it's at. Sorry it took so long to reply but I didn't notice the reply.

Latest posts

Back