Carbonated Hard Cider

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Plato

Reaction score
Recently I have been drinking these various hard cider drinks. Maybe Im not quite understanding what the actual term is for hard cider. So is Hard Cider the carbonated version of Apple Wine or is the Apple Wine itself just a term for Hard Cider? In anycase I have five gallons of apple wine finishing up. If I wanted to make this into the carbonated version in beer bottles. What is the process from the time you have ferminted the wine out dry to bottling? I have read bits and pieces of adding sugar to the bottles or sweetening before. If anyone has a road map per say I could look at, it would be most helpful. Does one still add the campden tabs and postasium sorbate or is that step skipped? If skipped, would there not be additional build up of lees in the individual bottles? Im very new at this but haveing a blast....

Hard cider is apple cider from pressed apples with no sugar added, that was fermented - 4-5% ABV

Apple wine is apple cider/juice from pressed apples, with sugars added and fermented to 10-12%+ ABV

Most commercial "cider"/lemonade type drinks are more malt-beverages where they're probably made with light malt or extra light malt and then have flavorings added over the top

also if you are going to cab then no do not add sorbate. K-meta will be needed in small amounts to help protect it from oxidation.
add about 3/4 t of corn sugar to each 12oz bottle when bottling then stick it in a closet for a couple of weeks. Pull them out and chill down for about 48 hours, enjoy!

Yes you will get sediment on the bottom of the bottle, that's just part of home brewing, poor it out in a glass when serving.

Latest posts

Back