carbon dioxide concern

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm so glad I found this thread because I also have a concern about the levels of carbon dioxide with regards to my new babies. We make wine in 1-5 gallon batches in a walk-in closet in our bathroom (no real ventilation). It gets pretty stinky in there but I've never felt light-headed or anything. Now I'm pregnant with twins expected in September and I worry that they may not be able to tolerate carbon dioxide like an adult can. Our bathroom adjoins the master bedroom directly with no door. The babies crib will be in our bedroom so I'm very worried about the carbon dioxide levels from the adjacent bathroom. And I can't even have a glass of wine to ease my excessive worrying! I must add that pregnancy has allowed me to actually get some age on some of my wines. :h So what should I do? We don't have any other space in the house with room for all our wines except the garage- which has no A/C and we live in Houston TX. I've thought of getting an old refrigerator. Any other ideas?

Welcome aboard. Like has been stated, if you are just doing a batch or two at a time, you don't have anything to worry about. Even fermenting in a closet is OK. The yeast don't consume all of the oxygen in the atmosphere. You could though get that refrigerator or better yet a freezer. Add a Johnson or Ranco control and your good to go.

Instead of the standard air lock, use the hose and jar full of water method. Run the hose throught a cracked window. Maybe you are lucky enough to have a window box or big enough sill to put the jar of water.
Also, some people forgo the airlock and use a balloon. There are pleanty of posts here about using a balloon.

May be useful

I can't post the links, but I did find this:

from CO2metersdotcom:

TIM8 Desktop Air Quality Monitor Measures CO2, Temperature, Relative Humidity (%RH)

which costs $179.95 (ouch) and gives a readout directly in ppm and alarms at preset hazard levels (which can be user adjusted)

From InspectAPedia, I discovered that:

300-400 ppm carbon dioxide is typical in outdoor air, around 600 ppm in indoor air. Levels about 600 ppm indicate a lack of fresh air or ventilation.

10,000 ppm is equal to a 1% concentration in air.

"At 1% concentration of carbon dioxide CO2 (10,000 parts per million or ppm) and under continuous exposure at that level, such as in an auditorium filled with occupants and poor fresh air ventilation, some occupants are likely to feel drowsy.

The concentration of carbon dioxide must be over about 2% (20,000 ppm) before most people are aware of its presence unless the odor of an associated material (auto exhaust or fermenting yeast, for instance) is present at lower concentrations.

Above 2%, carbon dioxide may cause a feeling of heaviness in the chest and/or more frequent and deeper respirations.

If exposure continues at that level for several hours, minimal "acidosis" (an acid condition of the blood) may occur but more frequently is absent.

Breathing rate doubles at 3% CO2 and is four times the normal rate at 5% CO2.

Toxic levels of carbon dioxide: at levels above 5%, concentration CO2 is directly toxic. [At lower levels we may be seeing effects of a reduction in the relative amount of oxygen rather than direct toxicity of CO2.]"

1st WELCOME to our group, :b
2nd Do not worry, there will not be enough to worry about for any health issues. Suggestion, get some plants as they will convert it to oxygen I believe.
If you are breast feeding be careful drinking.

If we all lived in hermetically sealed environmental chambers, I'd worry about it. We live in very porous boxes. There is air exchange all of the time. For instance, entering/exiting your front door, cracking a window, forced air heat, air conditioning, etc. You mentioned that you have A/C. The positive air pressure from that alone will force CO2 out. If you're really worried, get a few house plants. Don't confuse the dangers of carbon monoxide with carbon dioxide.

Any other ideas?

Yes - as the wise musician sings, "Don't worry, be happy." :)

Seriously.. one to five gallons is not going to produce an abundance of co2 that is going to affect your air quality in any regular setting where you have exchanges of air going on like a house.

I've had over 50 gallons fermenting at one time in my house - in the winter - when windows are seldom open - and I can promise you that there was no air quality issues. Take a look at Killjoy's post above - he's done the calculations - and the co2 from a few gallons of wine fermenting is negligible. You likely have more to worry about if you lived in Toronto on were outside exercising on smog alert days. And tons of people seem to do fine exercising on smog alert days.

At 1% concentration of carbon dioxide CO2 (10,000 parts per million or ppm) and under continuous exposure at that level, such as in an auditorium filled with occupants and poor fresh air ventilation

And there's absolutely no way that a few wine carboys will create as much CO2 has an auditorium full of people.

Isn't ironic we have a new user called "Tree Air"? :)

I went out and purchased a few houseplants and my combo smoke detector has not gone off since.....I think the only real health concern is if your making large batches, starting at the same time, in a small poorly ventilated area, in which you spend a considerable amount of time in.

I went out and purchased a few houseplants and my combo smoke detector has not gone off since.....I think the only real health concern is if your making large batches, starting at the same time, in a small poorly ventilated area, in which you spend a considerable amount of time in.
You mean like a large Ferment on Premises business with many batches started in one day and all wine stored in a nice climate controlled room?

Never heard of any health issues in those circumstances.

Steve

No, as in don't spend hours in a confined space like a walk in closet, bathroom, small basement/garage/shed, while having ~60 gallons of wine in the rapid fermentation stage....
I think the problem I was having was the combo smoke detector was being set off by "bubbles" of higher concentrations. Brief exposures should be somewhat harmless..

Last edited:
Kind of non-sequiter, but I had a smoke alarm in college that would go off every time I made toast! The toaster was new, and there was no smoke whatsoever, but the stupid thing went off every time. It was super sensitive and I had a small efficiency apartment to boot. :ot:

Similar to the previous post, I have a smoke detector that goes off during very humid weather... quite annoying considering the humid conditions we get during summer in Southern Ontario.

Do you know dry ice?

hello friends,
Here i am explaining DRY ICE.Solid carbon dioxide is known as dry ice.It is soft,white snow like substance and looks like ice.However,it does not wet a piece of cloth or paper because it sublimes without melting.Solid carbon dioxide is used as refrigerant under the commercial name drikold.
thank you.
AB MISH

Back