Caraway Wine - I'm going for it!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Some people make a few favorites, I like variety. A big variety.

Bryan, I am constantly amazed by the wonderful country wines that can be made with ingredients from the yard and garden. I would easily do 75% of them again, some with minor tweaking. About 20% were "nice", would need serious tweaking, but with so many other ingredients why bother. I've only had 2 big disappointments so far - the Keller honeysuckle had no flavor and the Keller black walnut used all brown sugar and tastes like a molasses wine.
Last night I had my red cabbage wine that honestly tastes like a good burgundy. I think I'll have green bean tonight.😅
Now I want to make Red Cabbage wine… !! 😩

Keller made grass clippings wine!
Not certain he actually made a wine from grass clippings because he mentioned the clippings in the context of a question: just because you CAN ferment something, should you? And grass clippings might fall into that category of "should you"?
Wow how interesting! I love caraway in everything but it has never occurred to me that it would be suitable for wine...but then again I've never thought about tomato wine either 😆
Caraway seeds are the main ingredient of a European drink known as Kimmel. If it makes a good liquor or liqueur (and it does), it very likely makes a delightful wine
Recipe: for the liquor
1/2 quart of vodka
50 g caraway
50 g Coriander
25 g Fennel
Infuse for a week
Strain
If you prefer a liqueur to the liquor
Add I cup sugar dissolved in 1 cup water.

Not certain he actually made a wine from grass clippings because he mentioned the clippings in the context of a question: just because you CAN ferment something, should you? And grass clippings might fall into that category of "should you"?

Caraway seeds are the main ingredient of a European drink known as Kimmel. If it makes a good liquor or liqueur (and it does), it very likely makes a delightful wine
Recipe: for the liquor
1/2 quart of vodka
50 g caraway
50 g Coriander
25 g Fennel
Infuse for a week
Strain
If you prefer a liqueur to the liquor
Add I cup sugar dissolved in 1 cup water.
I enjoy making infusions so thank you for this!

According to his book, he did it. Someone at his wine club was razzing him about expounding on the fact you can make wine from many things, not just grapes, and the guy challenged him with grass clippings. He wrote that he took them home, made a tea with them, and fermented it, then a few months later when it was his turn to bring a mystery wine to the club, that's what he brought. Everyone thought it was a chardonnay, IIRC.

Latest posts

Back