Cap or Cork?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You're correct - apples have to be tough enough to handle cross country shipping and long term storage - taste be damned. I have 2 heritage apple trees - a Wolf River apple and a Yellow Transparent. Taste is awesome right off the tree and I can pick at the peak of sugar, & limit how often they get sprayed. We have lost hundreds of species of apples (not to mention other produce) because they lack "commercial value" and mass production capabilities.

Hi Everyone,

I am getting ready to make my first batch of wine. I see alot about corking wine bottles but see very little about using wine bottles with a screw on cap. I have quit a few Arbor Mist bottles with plastic screw on caps that I would like to use to bottle my apple wine. Would this be a mistake?
Thank You!!
Look up "Novatwist" cannot be beaten.

Also, if wanting to remove existing wine labels from bootlegs simply warm with hairdryer and tgeyvwill peel off taking all glue with them.

Good evening,
Tailing in the conversation,
Me & my best girl went out to 1 of the local wineries this weekend looking to enquirer where they get there 375ml port bottles at.
Wanted to purchase a few cases,cause I like there shape & couldn't find them anywhere else.
Also on a side note I have a 6 gal carboy of my 1st port style in the basement planned for those bottles.
.......but upon asking they said they recycle all their bottles & I was offered what ever used bottles I wanted , when ever I wanted.
All were sitting neatly stacked waiting for recycle pick up
Thank you Narmada Vineyard's
I am bottle happy now

Maybe you guys might have a local resource available like that too

Hi Papa,

Wow that is great that you found a resource for bottles. I also like those bottles and wish I could find them. Bottles is one thing I need alot of!!

I buy my NEW bottles from my local wine/beer supply store. Unless you find a REALLY good deal on-line - the shipping cost on bottles will make them more expensive than buying local. I get the 375 ml bottles for about $32 w/ 24 in a case from my local wine supply store.

I got a good deal once from homebrewing.org- they had a case of 12 - 375 ml bottles for $10 w/ free shipping. Shoulda bought more. https://www.homebrewing.org/Wine-Bottles_c_278.html

Get to know your local wine/beer supply store - they can be a lot of help.

I buy my NEW bottles from my local wine/beer supply store. Unless you find a REALLY good deal on-line - the shipping cost on bottles will make them more expensive than buying local. I get the 375 ml bottles for about $32 w/ 24 in a case from my local wine supply store.

I got a good deal once from homebrewing.org- they had a case of 12 - 375 ml bottles for $10 w/ free shipping. Shoulda bought more. https://www.homebrewing.org/Wine-Bottles_c_278.html

Get to know your local wine/beer supply store - they can be a lot of help.

Wildhair

Yes that was a good deal!! I really prefer to go to the local brewing store as first I can see exactly what I am getting and second looking around is half the fun!! Problem for me is that the local brewing store is a 1 1/2 hr trip each way! One of the pitfalls of a small town. Shipping on bottles and carboys is rough!

I have on occasion purchased bottles from a wineries. They are a little cheaper than the homebrew store. ( my homebrew store is an hr away )

Hi GaDawg,

I have the same issue, either pay shipping or drive an hour and a half.
Honestly I would rather drive to the homebrew store as looking around is half the fun!

Latest posts

Back