Can't pass on free plumbs.

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

meadmaker1

Reaction score
A co worker picked and froze 45lbs of yellow plumbs from his trees just for me to use to make wine.
So here we go.
It's not perfect timing but plumbs won't wait till i have time and i can't keep 45 lbs of plumbs frozen
I normally would put three or four nasty bananas frozen and thawed in for, minerals lacking in honey, but can't wait for them to blacken so not this time.
Shooting for 6 gallons secondary after pressing skins and sludge.
45 lbs of frozen , thawed, and pitted plumbs
2 qrts of rhubarb juice [ for acidity ]
About 12 lbs of honey
About 2 gallons of water
71b

K meta
Fermaid K
Bentonite
Pectic enzymes
Additives as directed

Combined plumbs, rhubarb, 4lbs of honey 1 gallon of water mixed with kmeta left 24 hours to estamate sg. plumb juice was1.040 as best as could be determined.
Added the chemical list per package instructions remaining honey to set sg just below 1.090.
Used the water to thin/dissolve the honey to ease mixing
The brute is full of sludge very hard to pull thin juice just after stirring. But im going to grow mold if i don't move along, so can't wait for it to settle and get a better sg reading.

Hydrated yeast in go ferm
Added a spoon full of sugar after 1/2 hr.
Pitched when a nice head of foam convenced me the yeast is working.
Now time will tell
Tannins for plumb wine ???

A co worker picked and froze 45lbs of yellow plumbs from his trees just for me to use to make wine.
So here we go.
It's not perfect timing but plumbs won't wait till i have time and i can't keep 45 lbs of plumbs frozen
I normally would put three or four nasty bananas frozen and thawed in for, minerals lacking in honey, but can't wait for them to blacken so not this time.
Shooting for 6 gallons secondary after pressing skins and sludge.
45 lbs of frozen , thawed, and pitted plumbs
2 qrts of rhubarb juice [ for acidity ]
About 12 lbs of honey
About 2 gallons of water
71b

K meta
Fermaid K
Bentonite
Pectic enzymes
Additives as directed

Combined plumbs, rhubarb, 4lbs of honey 1 gallon of water mixed with kmeta left 24 hours to estamate sg. plumb juice was1.040 as best as could be determined.
Added the chemical list per package instructions remaining honey to set sg just below 1.090.
Used the water to thin/dissolve the honey to ease mixing
The brute is full of sludge very hard to pull thin juice just after stirring. But im going to grow mold if i don't move along, so can't wait for it to settle and get a better sg reading.

Hydrated yeast in go ferm
Added a spoon full of sugar after 1/2 hr.
Pitched when a nice head of foam convenced me the yeast is working.
Now time will tell
Tannins for plumb wine ???

Sounds like a great start!! Don’t know if the skins have lots of tannin or not, but I’d guess on the lower side, particularly because of the pulp to skin ratio. I’d be inclined to add some to help bind the color through fermentation, after that, it’s really all about taste and mouthfeel, and you know what to do there.

5 days in. Punching twice a day. But need to leave for a few days so tonite i lifted the cap into a strainer bag and pressed it. Hardly worth the effort pulp was pretty dry.
Less than a gallon of pulp from 45 lbs of plumbs. I expect there will be some seriously deep lees when I get home at 1.07 i added 3 grams more fermaid K.
Sg currently at 1.011
The fresh plumbs smelled like nothing but the minute the yeast started they smelled great.

Latest posts

Back