canning jars

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joel

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have been looking for canning jars for a few days, seems they are all sold out in my area, my guess would be due to the beer flu.

They should be available at the local StVinnies at reduced prices, it seems like folks are always cleaning Mom’s basement out and restocking the shelf. Canning lids were short.
I have been looking for canning jars for a few days, seems they are all sold out in my area, my guess would be due to the beer flu.

They have Ball brand. Are those knockoffs?
From the reports that I have read, yes. If they are Ball or Kerr brand they are made in america. What you will find on amazon right now are supposedly fakes and have been reported as such. That is what I am missing right now, the lid/seals.

There was a big spike in demand for these this year. My wife and I can hundreds of jars of stuff every year, but had a hard time finding jars and lids in the latter half of the summer.
Bernardin and Golden Harvest are the two most common brands in our area, sometimes see Ball.
Amazon way more expensive for these. Locally at Canadian Tire, it's usually $10 for 12x500ml, or $12 for 12x1L. And 12 lids are like $3.
Amazon prices are way higher.

We ended up finding what we needed, but ended up tossing a bunch of older stuff from the cellar to get a few dozen more jars.

Attachments

• IMG_20200929_163608.jpg
    IMG_20200929_163608.jpg
    947.7 KB · Views: 15
There was a big spike in demand for these this year. My wife and I can hundreds of jars of stuff every year, but had a hard time finding jars and lids in the latter half of the summer.
Bernardin and Golden Harvest are the two most common brands in our area, sometimes see Ball.
Amazon way more expensive for these. Locally at Canadian Tire, it's usually $10 for 12x500ml, or $12 for 12x1L. And 12 lids are like $3.
Amazon prices are way higher.

We ended up finding what we needed, but ended up tossing a bunch of older stuff from the cellar to get a few dozen more jars.
I have heard stories of Canada tire, have only been in Canada once when I was 12 I think. looking up several online sites and local stores I have been told that they will be out of stock till 2021. Crazy times we live in.

We do very little canning anymore. A dozen or so each pickles, relish, and a few jalapenos. Other than that, we dehydrate. I will never can tomatoes again. Dried are not only tastier, they take up much less space, have more vitamins, and are good for salads or cooked dishes. We freeze sweet peppers in slices.

We still use canning jars to store the dried goods. But we can reuse the lids quite a few times if we are careful when we remove them (they are vacuum sealed). We put up 28 quarts of tomatoes which would have probably been 100 quarts or more had we canned them. I like to smoke jalapenos and sweet peppers, then dehydrate, and grind. The sweet peppers are like bacon bits and the jalapenos are a nice chipolte spice.

The two largest glass canning jars..Ball and Mason are having some kind of war with each other so the jars are in short supply. They are almost unobtainable due to this ...that and everybody appears to be Baking, Canning, Fermenting or Brewing so all that equipment is in short supply. So is yeast and flour all because of this never ending Corona virus. As far as I am concerned I tried the Sourdough Bread baking and the Canning and the Fermenting Rout and now after spending my entire pension online to Amazon for Wine Brewing equipment, I am sure I will find a few bottles of wine will be much more satisfying than chewing on a slice of burnt Sourdough bread.

Latest posts

Back