canning jars

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We do very little canning anymore. A dozen or so each pickles, relish, and a few jalapenos. Other than that, we dehydrate. I will never can tomatoes again. Dried are not only tastier, they take up much less space, have more vitamins, and are good for salads or cooked dishes. We freeze sweet peppers in slices.

We still use canning jars to store the dried goods. But we can reuse the lids quite a few times if we are careful when we remove them (they are vacuum sealed). We put up 28 quarts of tomatoes which would have probably been 100 quarts or more had we canned them. I like to smoke jalapenos and sweet peppers, then dehydrate, and grind. The sweet peppers are like bacon bits and the jalapenos are a nice chipolte spice.
Sounds interesting, I will have to add to my investigate list.

the box in tomato season came from Walmart, however it was necessary to get lids and bands as a set. They are there (Ball) but maybe at the fourth store.
That is what I am missing right now, the lid/seals.
This is an interesting year, the replacement plane Jane white stove should be in mid November, a two month wait.

We do very little canning anymore. A dozen or so each pickles, relish, and a few jalapenos. Other than that, we dehydrate. I will never can tomatoes again. Dried are not only tastier, they take up much less space, have more vitamins, and are good for salads or cooked dishes. We freeze sweet peppers in slices.

We still use canning jars to store the dried goods. But we can reuse the lids quite a few times if we are careful when we remove them (they are vacuum sealed). We put up 28 quarts of tomatoes which would have probably been 100 quarts or more had we canned them. I like to smoke jalapenos and sweet peppers, then dehydrate, and grind. The sweet peppers are like bacon bits and the jalapenos are a nice chipolte spice.
I also have smoked the jalapenos and ground them up for the "Pulled pork" rub. Just cut the jalapenos in half the long way and smoked them(seeds and all). Don't need much when they're that hot.

Latest posts

Back