Candy Cane wine Recipe

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Might have to give this one a whirl, anyone try the fruity candy canes?

Might have to give this one a whirl, anyone try the fruity candy canes?

I believe I read somewhere that someone was going to use the cherry ones but do not recall if that ever happen. Give it a try and let us know what kind you use.

I don't think color of the canes will matter much as it fades with fermentation. I added food coloring at the end to bring back the festive color! Honestly this wine I have to say was my first 100% success as I have only been doing this a year and had several good wines a couple ok ones and a few early oops but drinkable! One misread hydrometer ending with a 18-20% ABV banana wine but back on track here! The secret to that success was patience! It took almost a year to clear but did so on it's own! During that time I considered it bulk aging and feel it improved it's quality. It also make it convenient to bottle up and give away as Christmas presents! Just remember patience with this one! Anyone have any ideas what to do with my rocket fuel banana wine?

I don't think color of the canes will matter much as it fades with fermentation. I added food coloring at the end to bring back the festive color! Honestly this wine I have to say was my first 100% success as I have only been doing this a year and had several good wines a couple ok ones and a few early oops but drinkable! One misread hydrometer ending with a 18-20% ABV banana wine but back on track here! The secret to that success was patience! It took almost a year to clear but did so on it's own! During that time I considered it bulk aging and feel it improved it's quality. It also make it convenient to bottle up and give away as Christmas presents! Just remember patience with this one! Anyone have any ideas what to do with my rocket fuel banana wine?

make a lower alcohol fruit wine and blend with that.

Is everyone using "Deboard's" recipe? I am going to Wal-Mart for Candy canes today.

I must be missing somethng....forgive me, I'm really a newbie at this.....I see Banana's mentioned, but not in the recipe? What are the Banana's for?

I did not use bananas in my recipe, but adding them would add some more body to the wine. I used the white grape concentrate to add some body, but you could use the bananas to add more or in place of the concentrate. Not sure what everyone is doing though. I'd love to see everyone's own take on the recipe, I just kinda winged it from tips I learned on this forum, so it can and should be modified/improved.

I've contemplated making a candy cane riesling if I were to do it again, using a can of riesling concentrate.

I am pretty much wingin it, i used white grape concentrate and bananas cuz of the thin wine comments. I am using 27 canes per gallon. my sg is 1.100. Plus I am going to play around with some other ideas, once everything works out, I'll post up my recipe.

I am pretty much wingin it, i used white grape concentrate and bananas cuz of the thin wine comments. I am using 27 canes per gallon. my sg is 1.100. Plus I am going to play around with some other ideas, once everything works out, I'll post up my recipe.

I would add some water to bring down the gravity to 1.085-90

Should we use a little less grape concentrate to keep the gravity @ 1.080-1.090? Hopefully I'll be ready on Monday to start finagelling with mine.

I am starting this sometime in the next few day. I will be using the same chemicals but the main ingrediants will change somewhat. I'll be using close to 40 canes per gallon, bananas. and JohnT Welches grape juice. Stay tuned for the recipe; same thread, same forum!

Should we use a little less grape concentrate to keep the gravity @ 1.080-1.090? Hopefully I'll be ready on Monday to start finagelling with mine.

After you get the cane soup add concentrate, then water, then ck gravity and you will only have to add a small amt of sugar to get 1.085

I would add some water to bring down the gravity to 1.085-90

Well I didn't want to dilute it down to much but DUH :slp I do have candy canes that I am using for an f-pac. So I now have 3 gallons going with an sg of 1.084. I'm headed to Dollar General to get more canes for a stronger f-pac

These stores are selling more candy canes now than before Christmas. The cashiers must think we are stockpiling for next year.

Back