Quantcast

Can you tell me what is floating in my wine?

Wine Making Talk

Help Support Wine Making Talk:

balatonwine

The Verecund Vigneron
Reaction score
Hard to tell from photos, but some do seem to show some colonial microbial growth. But it also may simply be some "flotsom" (for want of a better term) being dragged up by the fermentation and sticking to the surface.
If in doubt, simply rack the wine and avoid taking the top layer with your racking.

NorCal

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The tiny bubbles indicate to me that there is some activity, good or bad going on. How old is the wine? Did you add mlb? How does it smell?

colariu

Junior
Reaction score
Wine is 2 weeks old and it was going through mlf for 4 days. Smell and taste good, ph 3.44

colariu

Junior
Reaction score
The tiny bubbles indicate to me that there is some activity, good or bad going on. How old is the wine? Did you add mlb? How does it smell?
At the time the wine was going through mlf...i was not sure so i racked it. Now a few days later i have the same thing going on. Is this due to MLF? Would mlf happen even after I racked and sulfited the wine? The MLF bubbles are not visible anymore.

colariu

Junior
Reaction score
MLB has some tolerance to SO2, so maybe. At this point, I’d let it sit and see how it develops.
I used Avante yeast wich is supposed to consume 30% of malic acid during AF. The MLF was going good for about 3 day then it was barely visible..and i racked it the 4th day and filtered the wine 150 micron and sulfited it.Now about a week later the sediment is showing up again. The wine is from grapes and it has a good tase.