Can you shed some light!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kralenpregn7

Junior
Reaction score
Over the past couple of weeks, I have learned the importance of aging the wine. What my question now is, Is it important to brew your wine for a month? I know that freeze distilling is illegal in the US, but In The Name Of Science!, can brewing your wine for a month, be bypassed with freeze distillation.....I mean, after all, in nine days, you can conjure up a potent wine, that only needs to be aged.....Am I thinking correctly, or am I overlooking an important factor in the winemaking process.

What do you mean by "brewing your wine"?

The amount of alcohol you get is going to depend on the type of yeast you use and the amount of sugar. I'm pretty sure beer and the 'mash" for distilling work the same way. The yeast will eat the sugar and create alcohol, until the environment gets too much alcohol in it for them to survive anymore.

I'm curious about your idea...I just don't understand what it is yet.:)

If you want to distill wine, this makes brandy. I'm not sure if that's legal in the US or not, but I'm guessing not.

Last edited:
If you accidentally left you wine out in the winter you mean.

But seriously, it's not wine anymore it's shine, as you elude to in your title.

It's not going to taste like wine anymore, and no, you don't have to wait if you are going to do that, but you will not confuse it with wine, so for nice tasting wine, there is no other solution. You have to let nature take it's course.

I can't pretend that I know for sure how it will turn out though cause I never did it, just read about it. I think you will end up with some pretty clear liquid with a little of the flavor of your wine left in it. It would be kinda cool if it would come out like sherry, but I don't think it would.

But making strong wine fast... sounds like a sugar wash and turbo yeast. It has little to no flavor. It's not ment to be aged. If you use those distillers yeasts to make your fruit wine then I think the flavors get messed up. You have to add alot of sugar to get that high alc.%, and it dilutes the rich flavors of your wine. High alc. tolerant yeast strains can also leave bad flavors in the wine.

Last edited:
I wonder if by "brewing" the wine he means to let it ferment in the secondary? Just a guess.

Latest posts

Back