Can you help me with this recipe?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ok, last try... Where are you getting rack no more than 4 times? Solid cork till it clears?
put ingredients in a bucket, once vigorous fermenting settles down, no froth, its no longer vigerous, siphon/rack into secondary (carboy/demijohn) just the liquid, not the sediment, with airlock. No solid cork.
when you are sure fermentation stops, rack off the sediment, return wine to carboy with airlock. Not a solid cork

Clear with time or finings.
Now rack into wine bottles, and cork.

OH I thought while racking after fermentation that I was supposed to use a solid cork! I didn't realize I needed to continue with the airlock after fermentation racking before bottling! Thank you!:h

P.S. You said on a previous comment, "Usually one should only rack two or three times. Avoid over-racking." is where I got only rack 4 times.

Last edited:
How much time between racks? Is there a general amount of time? How do you know when it is time to rack (after fermentation of course)?

In general, approx. 3 mos. between rackings. Need to add some kmeta when doing this.
Another way to guide your racking will be a large amount of sediment buildup in the bottom of your carboy.........say a 1/2" to 1". The sediment buildup will become less with each racking, as your wine will be clearing along the way.

Back