Can you help me with this recipe?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
NOTE: Just to clarify, there have been many alterations made to this post since it was initially posted. My original recipe has been changed many times to correct it as I gathered information. So, if some of the initial comments from others do not make sense, this is why. Sorry to confuse anyone. I correct the Original thread post as I gather information and I will continue to do so until I get the recipe perfect.

This is my first attempt at home brewing wine. I am going to make a quite basic, sweet apple wine soon. I am hoping for a sweet, crisp, alcohol content of 13.4% desert-like wine.
Could you let me know if you think it will be a good recipe for what I am wanting and if there are any changes, additions or subtractions I should make? I am an absolute beginner and I have gathered this info from various sources to create my own recipe. I want to run it by some experienced wine makers to make sure it will be good. Any help is very much appreciated. Please read what I have written carefully. I want to make sure I have all of my ducks in a row before I begin.

SWEET APPLE WINE "Apfelwein" (4 British Gallons) @ 13.4% Alcohol Content
SWEET APPLE WINE "Apfelwein" (4 British Gallons) @ 13.4% Alcohol Content
16 litres of apple juice (juiced from fresh cooking apples) plus minced pulp of apple left from juicer
Water to top up if necessary for measuring purposes
71B Wine Yeast (as per instructions on packet)
6 lbs Sugar (approximately)
6 Cups chopped golden sultanas
The juice of 1-2 lemons (to be added for flavor after fermentation)
4 Teaspoons of yeast nutrient
2 Vitamin B1 tablets
12 Campden tablets
4 Teaspoons Pectic Enzyme/Pectolase
2 Teaspoons Potassium Sorbate
2 Liters of a Pre-made and frozen apple concentrate (homemade from juiced cooking apples with a LOT of sugar) to be used optionally to back sweeten to taste (if necessary) after fermentation.

Sterilize all equipment.

Use 2 separate large bins making 2 gallons of wine per bin.

In large pot on stove, measure 8 litres apple juice, mix in the minced apple pulp from juicer, 3 Cups of chopped golden sultanas, 1 Tsp. yeast nutrient, 1 vitamin B1 tablet, 2 Campden tablets & 1 kg of sugar. Gently warm on stove to dissolve sugar (do not boil as this depletes the flavor). Measure starting SG. Continue to add sugar until desired starting SG is achieved making sure sugar is completely dissolved before taking a hydrometer reading.

For 13.4% alcohol, the hydrometer should read near 1.090 this stage. Once the hydrometer reads near or on 1.090, pour into bin add 2 Tsp. Pectolase.

Repeat above for second bin.

Do not cover at this time (unless with just a thin towel or netting to keep dust and insects out) and allow to sit for 24 hours. The sulfur dioxide from the Campden tablets need the opportunity to dissipate into the air at this time.

Primary Fermentation: After 24 hours, stir it and then pitch the yeast by sprinkling it over the top of the wine in each bin and cover bin with plastic lid (do not seal so that it can breathe). Once it begins to ferment, do another hydrometer reading that should read near to 1.090. Take note of this specific reading as it can be used later to determine the precise alcohol percentage when it is finished fermenting by taking the difference between starting SG (1.090 for 13.4 % alcohol) and subtracting it from the ending SG (between 0.990-1.000) then dividing the difference by 7.362. This figure will give the percentage of alcohol.

Try to maintain the wine at 60 degrees Fahrenheit throughout primary and secondary fermentation.

*After day 24 hours of primary fermentation, add 1 Teaspoon of yeast nutrient per bin.

Allow to ferment in bins until the vigorous fermenting has stopped (usually 3-5 days) stirring gently with sanitized stirrer once a day.

After 3-5 days (or when the vigorous fermentation has stopped), do not shake or stir anymore from this point onward. Siphon the liquid into demijohn for secondary fermentation.

Once secondary fermentation has completed/bubbling has stopped, Test with hydrometer once more and the ending/final SG reading should be between 0.990-1.000. Make a note of this reading as it can be used to determine alcohol content. Siphon into a large bin. Then dissolve 4 Campden tablets and 2 teaspoons of potassium sorbate into it.

If it is not sweet enough to taste at this stage, Use a pre-made, defrosted super sweetened apple juice concentrate to back sweeten the wine for a sweeter flavor to taste. Alternatively add a sugar syrup (sugar dissolved in boiled water then cooled to room temp.) However, the frozen apple concentrate mentioned firstly will give a better flavor. The juice of 1-2 lemons can be added at this time for flavor if needed.

If higher alcohol content is desired, the wine can be fortified with alcohol at this stage. Brandy makes it taste like a sherry. It can be fortified with rum, frozen wine alcohol etc.

Now it is time to begin racking it. Usually racking is not needed more than 3-4 times unless absolutely necessary. Avoid over racking because exposing the wine to oxygen too much can cause bacteria in the wine. When the sediment is about 1/2-1 inch at the bottom, siphon into clean demijohn. Generally there are 2-3 months between rackings but use your best judgement.

When the alcohol has become clear of any sediment, it is time to bottle. Just before bottling, add 4 more Campden tablets.

Once bottled, leave to age for 3 months before drinking.

Last edited:
I don't know much about these types of country wines, so I will hope someone else will comment about your ingredients. I am posting to point out that your ingredient list does not mention how much sugar, so we cannot even take a rough guess at the likely alcohol content.

In a more general sense, recipes are fine, I suppose, but one should really know the principles, too. For now, the most important principle you should focus on is the relationship between sugar and alcohol.

Basically, you should decide how much alcohol you want. Then, you mix up your other ingredients that will give you flavors you want, plus some of the sugars. (So, in your example, the apple juice, raisins, water, lemon, and tea.) Then you measure the specific gravity (SG). Then you add enough sugar to bring the SG up to your intended starting value.

The formula that tells you the final ABV is (starting SG - ending SG) * 131 = ABV. So, for example, a wine that starts at SG = 1.085 and finishes at 0.994 would have an ABV of (1.085 - 0.994)*131 = 0.091*131=11.9%

The formula that tells you the final ABV is (starting SG - ending SG) * 131 = ABV. So, for example, a wine that starts at SG = 1.085 and finishes at 0.994 would have an ABV of (1.085 - 0.994)*131 = 0.091*131=11.9%

Thank you for that. Sorry, I forgot to add the amount of sugar in my recipe (duh):re. lol I have made corrections to the recipe now...

Last edited:
I'd use all juice no water and also backsweeten with frozen apple juice concentrate.

your specific gravity will tell you how much sugar you need.

:br Thank you. What should the SG read when I have just started the wine fermentation to achieve 17% alcohol?

I gave you the formula earlier. Here is how to apply it.

You want 17%, so you take 17%/131 = 0.130. This means that your SG needs to fall by 0.130 during fermentation. We can assume that your wine will finish at 0.995 or so, so you will need to start at 0.995 + 0.130 = 1.125.

@Sour Grapes, So would it be correct to say that my OG reading should be at 1125 to achieve around 17% alcohol at the end? Where do you get the figure of ABV 131? Is that just the general number used in all wine, beer and spirit making?

I am sorry, I am an absolute beginner who has never made wine before. I don't have a clue how to use a hydrometer. I need your instructions dumbed down a bit to help me to understand. :?

Last edited:
I have made considerable alterations to this recipe since it was initially posted. I have lowered the alcohol content to 12% because I have been told that anything higher than that can ruin the flavor of the wine.

This is the recipe now:

I am going to make a quite basic, sweet apple wine soon. I am hoping for a sweet, crisp, high alcohol content (12-13%) desert-like wine.
Could you let me know if you think it will be a good recipe for what I am wanting and if there are any changes, additions or subtractions I should make? I am an absolute beginner and I have gathered this info from various sources to create my own recipe. I want to run it by some experienced wine makers to make sure it will be good. Any help is very much appreciated. Please read what I have written carefully. I want to make sure I have all of my ducks in a row before I begin.

APPLE WINE (4-5 Gallons) @ 12% Alcohol Content
3.5 gallons of apple juice (juiced from fresh cooking apples)
High Alcohol Wine Yeast (as per instructions on packet)
5 Kg Sugar (approximately)
The juice of 6 lemons (Divided;The first 3 used before fermentation and the second 3 used after fermentation)
4 Vitamin B1 tablets
Campden tablets
2 Litres of a Pre-made and frozen apple concentrate (homemade from juiced cooking apples with a LOT of sugar) to be used optionally to back sweeten to taste (if necessary) after fermentation.

Sterilize all equipment. Mix the apple juice (and water if needed to make 3.5 gallons), 6 C of sultanas, juice of 3 lemons, 4 Tsp. yeast nutrient, 4 vitamin B1 tablets & 1 kg of sugar. Gently warm on stove to dissolve sugar (do not boil as this depletes the flavor). Measure starting SG. Continue to add sugar until desired starting SG is achieved making sure sugar is completely dissolved before taking a hydrometer reading. For 12% alcohol, the hydrometer should read 1.090 at this stage. Once the hydrometer reads 1.090, pour into carboy add 4 Tsp. Pectolase and allow to sit for 24 hours.

After 24 hours, stir it and then sprinkle the wine yeast over the top and cover with plastic lid (do not seal so that it can breathe). Once it begins to ferment, do another hydrometer reading that should read near to 1.090. Take note of this specific reading as it can be used later to determine the alcohol percentage when it is finished fermenting by subtracting the difference between starting SG and ending SG (ending SG will be between 990-1000) then dividing that number by 7.362. This figure will give the percentage of alcohol.

Keep in a warm place throughout fermentation.
Try to maintain a 60 degree Fahrenheit on hydrometer throughout fermentation.

Allow to ferment in carboy for 24-48 hours stirring once a day. This is when the most violent fermentation is occurring.

After 24-48 hours siphon it into demijohn for secondary fermentation. Do not shake or stir.

Once fermentation has completed/bubbling has stopped, test with hydrometer once more and the ending SG reading should be between 990-1000. Then dissolve 1 Campden tablet and 2 teaspoons of potassium sorbate into it and the juice of 3 lemons for crisp flavoring.

If it is not sweet enough to taste at this stage, Use a pre-made, defrosted super sweetened apple juice concentrate to back sweeten the wine for a sweeter flavor to taste. Alternatively add a sugar syrup (sugar dissolved in boiled water then cooled to room temp.) However, the frozen apple concentrate mentioned firstly will give a better flavor.

If higher alcohol content is desired, the wine can be fortified with alcohol at this stage.

Now it is time to begin racking it.
When racking, every other time add 1 Campden tablet per gallon.

Last edited:
hmmm. Terminology...
Primary fermentation wont be done in 24-48 hours.
Your initial ingredients go in the primary (pail) this is covered with a lid
Secondary(carboy, demijohn, same thing essentially, different shape) is second stage. use bung and airlock
Racking is how you move the must from one vessel to another, leaving the sediment behind.

Primary Fermentation: (for example, a pail, plastic bucket or bin)
The first vigorous "rolling" fermentation, in which yeast convert sugar in the wine to alcohol and carbon dioxide. At this stage it is all right for the fermentation vat to be exposed to the air because the yeast are producing so much carbon dioxide that it forms a "blanket" of this inert gas over the fermenting juice or must. A rapid fermentation that typically occurs during the first 3 to 7 days of the wine making process, after the yeast is added.

Secondary Fermentation: (for example, a carboy, large glass jug...)
The second stage of the primary fermentation. After vigorous primary, wine is transferred to a carboy or barrel (secondary fermenter) to finish the last, protracted "secondary fermentation" when the yeast are slowing down and the wine needs to be protected from oxygen and any air-borne microbial contaminants.

Carboy: Glass water jugs, typically between 3 and 7 gallons in size, that are used in wine making as a secondary fermenter.

Airlock - A small device that acts as a water trap. It is used on top of a wine making container to allow gases to escape without allowing contaminants in.

Hydrometer: A long glass instrument used in wine making to determine the sugar content of a juice. The reading is taken by seeing how high or low it floats in the juice to be measured. Doesn't measure temperature.

Racking - The process of siphoning or pumping juice/wine off the sediment that has settled on the bottom of the container. Usually one should only rack two or three times. Avoid over-racking.

More here... http://www.winemakingtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8465

Look at the simple steps I listed, reference the definitions, it seems your still missing it.

Last edited:
hmmm. Terminology...

Okay, I thought that a carboy was the name of the large bin.

I was also reading somewhere that you could take the temperature with the hydrometer. This is why I am here asking questions because of all of the conflicting answers on the web. I do not have my hydrometer yet so I haven't had a chance to play around with it yet. I will invest in a wine thermometer. I do have a laser thermometer I use for soap making. Would the laser thermometer work for the wine?

Okay so do you think the latest recipe is fine now other than the incorrect terminology? I will start it all off in a large plastic bin. Then after the vigorous fermentation has stopped (3-5 days), I will siphon it into a demijohn.

Another question I have, when it comes time to rack it, can I rack it into demijohns with a solid cork or do I need to rack it into smaller bottles?

Last edited:
Another question I have, when it comes time to rack it, can I rack it into demijohns with a solid cork or do I need to rack it into smaller bottles?
Racking - The process of siphoning or pumping juice/wine off the sediment that has settled on the bottom of the container. Usually one should only rack two or three times. Avoid over-racking.
I think you mean bottling
The process by which a liquid, usually wine or beer is racked into a bottle then topped off with either a cork, plug or screw cap.

Google images of the different items

I think you mean bottling
The process by which a liquid, usually wine or beer is racked into a bottle then topped off with either a cork, plug or screw cap.

Google images of the different items

Yikes with the red writing lol :gb :). I just wasn't sure if it could be racked in the demijohns or if it should be racked in smaller bottles. I will rack it in the demijohns (no more than 4 times) with solid cork until it is clear of any sediment and ready to be bottled.

Another question :D... When the vigorous fermentation is happening, there is a lot of froth created. When it comes time to siphon it into the demijohns for the secondary fermentation, do I spoon off this froth? Stir it in? Only siphon the liquid (I presume this is the way but I just want to make sure)?

Updated version of recipe with corrected terminology:
SWEET APPLE WINE (4-5 Gallons) @ 12% Alcohol Content
3.5 gallons of apple juice (juiced from fresh cooking apples)
High Alcohol Wine Yeast (as per instructions on packet)
5 Kg Sugar (approximately)
The juice of 6 lemons (Divided;The first 3 used before fermentation and the second 3 used after fermentation)
4 Vitamin B1 tablets
Campden tablets
2 Litres of a Pre-made and frozen apple concentrate (homemade from juiced cooking apples with a LOT of sugar) to be used optionally to back sweeten to taste (if necessary) after fermentation.

Sterilize all equipment.

Mix the apple juice (and water if needed to make 3.5 gallons), 6 C of sultanas, juice of 3 lemons, 4 Tsp. yeast nutrient, 4 vitamin B1 tablets & 1 kg of sugar. Gently warm on stove to dissolve sugar (do not boil as this depletes the flavor). Measure starting SG. Continue to add sugar until desired starting SG is achieved making sure sugar is completely dissolved before taking a hydrometer reading. For 12% alcohol, the hydrometer should read 1.090 this stage. Once the hydrometer reads 1.090, pour into 5 gallon bin add 4 Tsp. Pectolase and allow to sit for 24 hours.

After 24 hours, stir it and then sprinkle the wine yeast over the top and cover with plastic lid (do not seal so that it can breathe). Once it begins to ferment, do another hydrometer reading that should read near to 1.090. Take note of this specific reading as it can be used later to determine the alcohol percentage when it is finished fermenting by subtracting the difference between starting SG and ending SG (ending SG will be between 990-1000) then dividing that number by 7.362. This figure will give the percentage of alcohol.

Keep in a warm place throughout fermentation.
Try to maintain a 60 degree Fahrenheit throughout fermentation.

Allow to ferment in in bin until the vigorous fermenting has stopped (usually 3-5 days).

After 3-5 days (or when the vigorous fermentation has stopped), siphon it into demijohn for secondary fermentation. Do not shake or stir.

Once fermentation has completed/bubbling has stopped, test with hydrometer once more and the ending SG reading should be between 990-1000 and make note of this reading as it can be used to determine alcohol content. Then dissolve 1 Campden tablet and 2 teaspoons of potassium sorbate into it and the juice of 3 lemons for crisp flavoring.

If it is not sweet enough to taste at this stage, Use a pre-made, defrosted super sweetened apple juice concentrate to back sweeten the wine for a sweeter flavor to taste. Alternatively add a sugar syrup (sugar dissolved in boiled water then cooled to room temp.) However, the frozen apple concentrate mentioned firstly will give a better flavor.

If higher alcohol content is desired, the wine can be fortified with alcohol at this stage.

Now it is time to begin racking it. Do not rack it any more than 3-4 times unless absolutely necessary.
When racking, every other time add 1 Campden tablet per gallon.

When the alcohol has become clear of any sediment, it is time to bottle. Leave bottles to age for 3 months before drinking.

Last edited:
Yikes with the red writing lol :gb :). I just wasn't sure if it could be done in the demijohns or if it should be done in smaller bottles. I will rack it in the demijohns (no more than 4 times) with solid cork until it is clear of any sediment and ready to be bottled.

Another question :D... When the vigorous fermentation is happening, there is a lot of froth created. When it comes time to siphon it into the demijohns for the secondary fermentation, do I spoon off this froth? Stir it in? Only siphon the liquid (I presume this is the way but I just want to make sure)?

ok, last try... Where are you getting rack no more than 4 times? Solid cork till it clears?
put ingredients in a bucket, once vigorous fermenting settles down, no froth, its no longer vigerous, siphon/rack into secondary (carboy/demijohn) just the liquid, not the sediment, with airlock. No solid cork.
when you are sure fermentation stops, rack off the sediment, return wine to carboy with airlock. Not a solid cork

Clear with time or finings.
Now rack into wine bottles, and cork.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back