Can you cork beer bottles?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks - that's what I'm mulling right now.

Everywhere I've looked a case of 375's is basically the same price as a 5 gallon carboy - $33 - $35

There's a winery a bit of a drive from here that I get bottles from gratis. Next time I'm near I'll see if they have any smaller than 750ml

Wow, I guess the prices at my LHBS are pretty good. I just checked today and the price for a case of 375 ml bottles, 24 bottles, is about $24.00.

Wow, I guess the prices at my LHBS are pretty good. I just checked today and the price for a case of 375 ml bottles, 24 bottles, is about $24.00.

I wish I had a "local" shop. The nearest to me is a 2 hour drive each way, so I tend to order a lot of stuff from places with flat-rate shipping.

I *might* be able to get something good from the winery I mentioned. They clean up used 750ml bottles from their bistro and sell them for $4/case. That trip is only 1 hour each way. ((calculating fuel cost vs buying online ... :)))

Hopefully they have a few halfs and splits!

NO!!!!!!!! You can not as they dont have strong enough side walls nor can you cork a wine bottle that is a screw top. Please dont try this as a few people over the years have on a few of the forums and were injured peretty good while either opening these or in the process of putting tye cork in. One of them cut a few of the tendons in his hand and had to go through many surgeries and still dont have much of his movement in that hand.

I use wine bottles that are screw tops - no problem - over 120 now.

corking is no problem - if any bottle (screw top or non screw top) ever break during corking it is no problem - My hands are not near the bottle Same for de-corking as I use a levered de-corker.

But I will take that as a warning not to use those non-levered de-corkers on any wine bottle.

The advantage is once opened you can use a screw top to put on the bottle and keep in fridge or whatever..

It's not the equipment , it's the hand skills - you have to use common sense if you use anything - hammer, knife cork-screw. -if you are applying force you must account for what will happen if you slip in any direction.

I just bought and am making a coffee port. I was going to use 750 ml bottles but now that I know corks will fit in some beer bottles I will use the beer bottles - because I saw some very fancy beer bottles at the bottle depot the other day - I will give it a try..

Buying the 375 empty bottles - the prices are outrageous.

Last edited:
This thread is of great interest to me. I like the idea of producing smaller bottles of wine, which I can use as gifts during the holiday. I have been saving several dozen empty bottles of Bud Light Platinum because of the beautiful cobalt blue color. These bottles used screw off caps. Could they be recapped like a regular bottle, and if not is there another way I could reuse them for wine?

Thanks for any replies back
Lamar

This thread is of great interest to me. I like the idea of producing smaller bottles of wine, which I can use as gifts during the holiday. I have been saving several dozen empty bottles of Bud Light Platinum because of the beautiful cobalt blue color. These bottles used screw off caps. Could they be recapped like a regular bottle, and if not is there another way I could reuse them for wine?

Lamar

Nope. Twist offs are pretty much useless to home brewers/wine makers.

Lamar

The bud light platinum twist off now has re closeable twist off caps - check with google.

Sounds good - once you close it off it won't age anymore but if you are giving it as gifts that doesn't matter. I saw some nice rubber stopper 500 ml beer bottles that I will do the same thing - first I will age my port in 750 ml and then when ready to drink or give away I will transfer and affix fancy label.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/can-i-reuse-twist-off-bottles-361034/

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/any-way-cap-twist-offs-302768/

There is some diff of opinion of capping twist off for beer makers. Some say they can re-use the original cap. Seems there is a lot of problem. If it's a gift you give in person rather than mail and probably will be drunk in near future there is probably less need for perfection here as in long term storage..

Last edited:
Corking them with the good old fashioned hand corker and a hammer.

The small beer bottles?

Neato! I want to cork them - So it can be done! I'm going to do it then.

A hammer? - never heard of that - you mean you hammer in corks that don't go in all the way? That can be done?

beggarsu said:
the small beer bottles? Neato! I want to cork them - so it can be done! I'm going to do it then. A hammer? - never heard of that - you mean you hammer in corks that don't go in all the way? That can be done?

NOl!!!!!!!!!!

Dessertmaker - you are referring to twist off wine bottles, correct?

Not beer bottles?

WI_Wino said:
Dessertmaker - you are referring to twist off wine bottles, correct? Not beer bottles?

Yes I've never tried corking a beer bottle. Don't plan on messing with that adventure any time soon. My bench capper works just fine.

Yes I've never tried corking a beer bottle. Don't plan on messing with that adventure any time soon. My bench capper works just fine.

When they were talking about 'twist-off's they were talking about beer bottles.

You are talking about screw top wine bottles.

So this hammer method... I use a two handed corker with bottle on the floor - sometime the cork is not 100 percnet in- so I can put a plastic thingmee over it and hammer tap it to finish ???

I'll try that.

beggarsu said:
When they were talking about 'twist-off's they were talking about beer bottles. You are talking about screw top wine bottles. So this hammer method... I use a two handed corker with bottle on the floor - sometime the cork is not 100 percnet in- so I can put a plastic thingmee over it and hammer tap it to finish ??? I'll try that.

Sounds like you just need a little less head space in your bottle. I doubt you would accomplish anything more with a hand corker and a hammer if you're using a two handed floor corker.

That little red thing IS my corker. The cork gets a shot of KMETA (to make it slide in easier) and goes in the hole, the red cap goes on top of that, a rag or thick layer of duct tape goes on top of that, and I tap the cork home with my hammer.

Last edited:
beggarsu said:
When they were talking about 'twist-off's they were talking about beer bottles. You are talking about screw top wine bottles.

I was agreeing with you on the twist off wine bottles actually. Should have quoted you. Sorry.

I tried my bottle capper on a Bud Light Platinum twist-off bottle with some water in it, and it seems to be held on good as far as I can tell. No leakage and is very tight.
Lamar

Bud Light Platinum bottle.jpg

P1050154.jpg

P1050157.jpg

Latest posts

Back