Can you add too much yeast to the must?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You can use any container you want. Just cover it with a towel or something similar. FWK recommends a wine bottle, and it makes sense as most of us have a bunch lying around. I have numerous funnels that fit wine bottles (including a large one!) and put the dry ingredients in first, then the water.

Last spring I wrote a post that describes making a starter in greater detail. I updated it this morning with advice for conical fermenters.

https://wine.bkfazekas.com/how-to-make-a-yeast-starter/
Thank you! I just read in Techniques In Winemaking (Daniel Pambianchi) that you can use grape juice, must etc too instead of water. Make sense as they are loaded with sugar.

there is a book

Yeast the practical guide to beer fermentation

great book about the life cycle of yeast making alcohol. A must read for anyone serious about homebrew. I know it says beer but the all the information crosses over. It has so much info in it you can become a yeast nerd.

I read it years ago and it really stepped up my game.

@Siwash I use 2L ball jars for my wine starters, they work just fine and I use grape juice AFTER the initial hydration water. Started using Welch’s Concord grape juice but now use frozen Zinfandel grape juice concentrate reconstituted to an SG of 1.100

Latest posts

Back