Can you add sugar after adding yeast?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tbayav8er

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I started an Island Mist Coconut Yuzu Pinot Gris yesterday. The starting S.G. was 1.047. The box says it should be 1.048-1.052. Being a new guy, I figured no problem. After thinking about it, I've come to realize this is going to be very low in ABV. I've already added the yeast. Is there anyway I can increase the ABV without ruining the kit? Thanks!

Okay, sounds great....Since I topped it up to the 23L mark in my pail, I will probably have over 23L after I add the sugar....So when I go to rack, I will just put the excess in a 1/2 gallon jug. Would there be any need to add extra yeast? Thanks!

Just make some simple syrup. 4 parts sugar 1 part water.

Island Mist kits are supposed to be low alcohol drinks. You did nothing wrong.

....So when I go to rack, I will just put the excess in a 1/2 gallon jug. Would there be any need to add extra yeast? Thanks!

1/2 gal isn't that about right amount for tasting ..??????

No extra yeast is needed. You probably won't have a lot of extra when racking, but if you do, you can put it in smaller jugs or wine bottles with #2 stoppers.

Thanks everyone. I threw in the rest of a bag of sugar I had in my cupboard. Got the starting S.G. up to 1.065, so the ABV should end up being around 9% which is acceptable for me, being more of a cocktail type drink.

Island Mist kits are supposed to be low alcohol drinks. You did nothing wrong.

If you want a wine cooler type drink follow the directions, if you want more of a wine type drink add sugar, but without the extra sugar/alcohol to preserve it may not last for an extended time. :rn

If you want a wine cooler type drink follow the directions, if you want more of a wine type drink add sugar, but without the extra sugar/alcohol to preserve it may not last for an extended time. :rn

Typically, those Mist wines don't last very long. One good hot summer day around the pool with a few neighborhood women and it seems to disappear!

Latest posts

Back