Can vacuvin break my carboy?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zintrigue

Reaction score
I have a hand pump called vacuvin to degas, and it's working great. However, I am slightly terrified of making my one gallon carboy explode. (Implode?) especially after reading about disaster striking with mechanical pumps.

I have no idea how much pressure I'm putting on the glass. Husband laughed at my concerns.

Maybe it's laughable... or maybe I'm at risk of having dragon blood all over my kitchen while my toddler puddle hops through the mess.

Please ease my fears or arm me with working knowledge to avoid catastrophe. Thanks.

-Zintrigue

If it's a typical 1 gal jug that you got at your LHBS I think that you are very safe. I use a 1 gal jug as an overflow vessel connected to my electric vacuum when I use it for degassing. It's my understanding that a vacuvin will not generate nearly as much vacuum as an electric one.

That being said, be sure to check it for cracks and such as if you've banged it or dropped it one too many times any small crack will create a danger under pressure.

Tell us a bit more about your vessel. You called it a carboy, but is it just a jug? How thick is the glass?

Standard 1 gallon jug that came with my kit, not sure of the thickness.

If it's a typical 1 gal jug that you got at your LHBS I think that you are very safe. I use a 1 gal jug as an overflow vessel connected to my electric vacuum when I use it for degassing. It's my understanding that a vacuvin will not generate nearly as much vacuum as an electric one.

That being said, be sure to check it for cracks and such as if you've banged it or dropped it one too many times any small crack will create a danger under pressure.

This is reassuring, thank you. I'll keep at it.

-Zin

Don't know if you can extrapolate from this but I've been using, for the past four years, the Vacu Vin to degas my 23L batches in quality Italian glass carboys without issue.

Latest posts

Back