Can these be used for wine or beer?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brian55

Senior Wino
Reaction score
I inherited these three and I'm trying to figure out what they're used for. Not much info on the tag other than they're made by http://www.alloyproductscorp.com/index.html and listed as 130psi max and were made in 1994.
My calculations based on outside measurement put them at about 14 gal. each. Any info on what these can be used for and tips on how to best market them would be much appreciated.

3-26-16 002.jpg

They look like the corny kegs I used when making beer I have heard of people using them for wine aging but I have only used them in my kegerator mine were 5 gal or so.

I inherited these three and I'm trying to figure out what they're used for. Not much info on the tag other than they're made by http://www.alloyproductscorp.com/index.html and listed as 130psi max and were made in 1994.
My calculations based on outside measurement put them at about 14 gal. each. Any info on what these can be used for and tips on how to best market them would be much appreciated.

They are totally useless. I'll come take them off your hands...

They are indeed early versions of cornelius kegs. Very good for carbonating beer and making sparkling wine. Those closures in the middle have an "O" ring that can be replaced for a few bucks (I know they have them up in Lemoyne at Scotzin Bros). The only other thing that tends to go bad are the connects for the gas and liquid line, that can be replaced or can also have their "O" rings replaced.

I can help you out if you decide to use them. They are probably 5 gallons, can't use the outside measurements since there is an inside stainless steel liner with an open space between the liner and outside.

I could be wrong on the size. A normal corny keg has only two inputs, a gas line and a liquid (out) line. I see those have four connects. Interesting...

I measured from the inside. They are definitely over 14 gallons. Probably closer to 16 but it's hard to be exact with the curved top and bottom. The gaskets look to be in good condition.

I measured from the inside. They are definitely over 14 gallons. Probably closer to 16 but it's hard to be exact with the curved top and bottom. The gaskets look to be in good condition.

For their age they look in great condition. I'd pursue figuring out who has parts for them, and if you make beer or sparkling wine they are a great addition to your arsenal. If not you can fix them up and probably fetch a good price for them from someone who uses them.

For their age they look in great condition. I'd pursue figuring out who has parts for them, and if you make beer or sparkling wine they are a great addition to your arsenal. If not you can fix them up and probably fetch a good price for them from someone who uses them.

I would imagine the manufacturer still has parts available. I only make wine kits, so these are complete overkill for my little operation. I'm going to sell them. I'm trying to find out a bit more info on what they're called, what they can be used for, etc.. so I can market them more easily.

They are general purpose pressure vessels. There should be a model number that would help identify the manufacturing specifications. They can be used for anything that is compatible with the 130psi pressure limit, grade of stainless steel, and the O-ring composition. They could be used for wine or beer, but it would be best to determine what they previously contained, for example I wouldn't recommend using for food if they previously contained pesticide, herbicide, or other toxic material.

They are general purpose pressure vessels. There should be a model number that would help identify the manufacturing specifications. They can be used for anything that is compatible with the 130psi pressure limit, grade of stainless steel, and the O-ring composition. They could be used for wine or beer, but it would be best to determine what they previously contained, for example I wouldn't recommend using for food if they previously contained pesticide, herbicide, or other toxic material.

There's no model number, just serial numbers on each. They were willed to me because the previous owner was made aware that I was brewing my own wine (they weren't made aware of the fact that I was just simply making kits) they were used for home brewing of some sort, I'm not sure what exactly and feel uncomfortable prying into it at this point.

Those tanks look like the old style syrup tanks used to hold Coke syrup etc for soda fountains. I used to work for a restaurant chain and serviced many of those tanks. Still have one converted for bug spraying! Some changed the fittings on those tanks also. Roy

There is a thread over on HBT where someone is using something similar to these: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=518279

Like Craig says, these are valuable. If you live anywhere near me, I would be interested. You can look on Ebay to get an approximate value, but regular kegs (five gallon) go for $40 - $80 used, depending on their condition. If you outfitted them with ball locks and could advertise them as 'pressure tested', it will help your resale value.

Based on your description and the photo, it looks like you have model 73 with standard pressure lid assembly and white pickle finish, the base list price is $616 for T-304 stainless steel item #B501-0260-00-E; the base list price for T-316L stainless is $735 item #B501-4774-00-E. Attached is a basic shop drawing.

View attachment B5010260.pdf

There is a thread over on HBT where someone is using something similar to these: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=518279

Like Craig says, these are valuable. If you live anywhere near me, I would be interested. You can look on Ebay to get an approximate value, but regular kegs (five gallon) go for $40 - $80 used, depending on their condition. If you outfitted them with ball locks and could advertise them as 'pressure tested', it will help your resale value.

About 30 miles northwest of Chicago.

Based on your description and the photo, it looks like you have model 73 with standard pressure lid assembly and white pickle finish, the base list price is $616 for T-304 stainless steel item #B501-0260-00-E; the base list price for T-316L stainless is $735 item #B501-4774-00-E. Attached is a basic shop drawing.

Thanks! I think you nailed it. They do specify T316 on the side, but I don't see any part #'s just serial #'s.

Latest posts

Back