Can SG be higher than 1.000 at bottling?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gharmon

Junior
Reaction score
My first batch - When fermentation began, I had a SG of 1.07. After a week, I racked it with a SG of .990. No more bubbles from airlock. I de-gassed and added the last three parts of the wine kit (packages #3 and #4 and the F pack), and the SG went to 1.100. Should I make the SG read less than 1.000 before I bottle, or is it common to bottle with a SG over 1.000? I want a sweet wine, and it tastes great. If there are no more bubbles, will the SG ever come down? Would placing the carboy in a cool room help? Thanks!

You are fine.
You made a "mist" type wine. The f-pac was a Flavor and Sweetener pac. This would increase the gravity. If you did all the directions you are all set. After adding clearing I would wait at least 2 weeks before racking.

After adding the f-pack, I would not expect the SG to go to 1.100 - are you sure of this reading? It should be a lot lower than that - perhaps the sweetener didn't get mixed in well when you took the reading. Regardless of the number, though, it's now stabilized and shouldn't change - so, as Tom says, wait for it to clear and bottle at your leisure. Don't forget to top up the carboy.
.. Doug

Got to be a typo. Bet it is 1.010
Make sure you know how to read the hydrometer. It will make a huge difference if we get wrong info to answer your questions.

Im sure they meant 1.010 with the sg and thats where it wouldbe forn a semi to sweet wine and thats normal. If you wanted a dry wine you would not have added the f-pack and thus far leaving the sg lower. Like Tom said those f-packs contain flavoring and inverted sugars to sweeten the wine.

You know it would be easier to read the hydrometer if they addax a "0" in front of those numbers. Once you've pondered it it's easy to read.

Sorry about the SG reading

Thanks to all who shared advice. You're right. The must must have fogged my reading (or possibly it was that small sip I couldn't help but sneak). I should have said the original SG read 1.070, then a week later it stayed at .990, so I de-gassed and racked. The SG read 1.016 after de-gassing and adding the sweetening F pack. It tastes great. I'm just wondering should I count days or read the SG until bottling time? Does the SG have to read below 1.000 to bottle? I want the sweet flavor. Also I have a cool room next door. The carboy is clarifying in a 75 - 80-degree room. Should I move it to a cool room (55-65 degrees) for the remainder of clarifying? You folks are excellent, by the way.
Thanks for the words of encouragement, djrockinsteve

Last edited:
the SG will not change at this point.
let clarify according to instructions, don't be afraid to let it go longer than prescribed if it needs it. as long as the carboy is topped up and under airlock the wine is protected.
the only thing i would suggest before bottling is to make sure it is degassed well enough, this is something most don't get quite right on their first kit.
if it has any lingering carbonation when you taste it. if it fizzes when you shake it. etc. degass some more.

If you added the Metabisulfate (3) and the Potassium Sorbate (4) your fermentation is complete and you have stopped further fermentation from occuring. This is what should and did happen before adding your fpac based on yor comment. Your sg will stay where it is and that is fine as the fpac sweetened the wine to the current sg. Your good to go for bottleing after letting everything set for a few days or you could rack off the lees and then let age in the carboy until you are ready to bottle.

(rawlus beat me to it)

Time for PATIENCE !
Let it sit 2-4 weeks to clear rack and maybe wait another 2 weeks to see if anything else settles out to the bottom.

Latest posts

Back