can i times a recipe to make a larger batch????

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jayjaytuner

Junior
Reaction score
theres a recipe for the welches grape concentrate, i plan on trying it, but i want to make a 6 gallon batch, the only recipe i can find is for 1 gallon batches. would i just times all the ingr. by 6?? besides the yeast .........
for instance, it requires 2 tsp acid blend, would i put 12 tsp acid blend in? ect.. ect.. ect..?? im a newbie help much aprecied....i'v already bought everything i need

Indeed that is the general idea.

When you have a recipe for 2 gallon and you would like to make
6 gallon just multiply all ingredients by 3. For 12 gallon multiply by 6 etc.

If you sprinkle the yeast on top of the must I would certainly use more yeast as the recipe calls for.
But with making large batches I always make a healthy yeast starter and add that to my must. The less risk involved the better I sleep.

Make a yeast starter by taking 1 liter apple juice, 120 grams sugar, 2 grams citric acid and yeast nutrients. Add the yeast to this in an open bottle (put some cotton on top). When the bubbles start to rise or foam starts to form the race has started. Wait another 24 or 48 hours before dumping the starter in the must.

You can see the details on my web-log in the archive entry of 24 august 2007:
http://wijnmaker.web-log.nl/wijn_weblog/2007/08/24/index.html

Succes,
Luc

thanks for the reply........
1 more question, Do you know if campden tabs is needed for store bought grape juice concentrate or not?

With concentrated juice it is not absolutely necessary because the juice is sterile.
But contamination can happen during preparing the must, like with adding sugar etc.
It is better to be safe as sorry. So I always add some campden.

Luc

I am starting a raspberry/blackberry mix.(frozen whole fruit from GFS) I am taking a 1 gal recipe and tripling it (x3) . The owner at the wine supply store the told me I could use 1 yeast packet for the whole batch. He also said to use 1/2 campden tab for the whole batch. The recipe I have calls for 1 tab per gallon. While I can understand that the presence of wild yeast may not be a prevalent as it might be in fresh fruit (the campden tab which is meta-bi, will kill the wild yeast , correct?) should I take his advice. This is only my second batch of wine. The first was a WE kit. What he said about the yeast seems to contradict what I have read here. Any advice? Also, are my assumptions correct, or am I off in left field (again) :)
Thanks
Brian

One packet of wine yeast is sufficient for up to 6 US gallons (23 litres). Not sure what 'frozen whole fruit from GFS' means in terms of campden. It would be safest to use the normal amount of campden (or potassium metabisulphite).

Steve

GFS is a food service company here in town where you can buy in bulk for catering your own parties and such. Thanks for the quick reply!!

Latest posts

Back