Can I substitute anything for oranges in a recipe?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Liosach

Junior
Reaction score
Just wondering if I can substitute something else for oranges in a recipe, eg parsley wine? My husband is allergic to oranges so if I could put in more lemons, for example, that would mean he could drink the wine too. Thank you for any help you can give me

the orange is a source of acid for the wine lemons or limes can be used as a substitute. I lean towards lime as it would be more pleasant tasting.

The quick and dirty answer is sure, as @salcoco says it is just a source of acid and flavor

a few oranges:
naval, , , , 1.050 gravity , , , , 3.98 pH , , , 0.96% Titratable Acid
cutie, , , , , 1.061 , , , ,, ., , , , ,3.62, , , , , , ,1.30%
blood orange 1.053, , , , , , , 3.93, , , , , , , , 1.24%
ie there will be some variation already in what orange you get

and a few other citrus choices
ugli , , , , , , , 1.044 , , , , , , , ,4.08 , , , , , , , 0.66%
lime , , , , , , ,1.03 , , , , , , , , 2.63 , , , , , , , 5.7%
lemon US , , ,1.035, , , , , , , 2.45, , , , , , , , 5.64%
lemon Argentina 1.034 , , , 2.43 , , , , , , , , 7.39%
grapefruit , , , 1.049 , , , , , ,2.98 , , , , , , , , 1.50%
ie if you pick one with more acid content (TA) you should expect to back sweeten more,, but it will work ,,,, by the way my favorite off the list is grapefruit, I feel it makes a more interesting wine having the bitter flavor notes combined with some sugar. I shy away from too much lime because the flavor tends to dominate weaker flavors.
My trick to test substitutes is to make a pie and ask “do I like this enough to make it again.” and the grapefruit has shown up in several pies.

Last edited:
Hi Liosach, I completely agree with the others. The oranges are for added acidity so you might add concentrated powdered acids to replace the oranges (and lemons). You might add malic acid (acids that are the major acids found in apples, or you might add acid blend (a mix of citric, malic and tartaric (found in grapes).

Latest posts

Back