Can I still use old chemicals to make Dragon Blood?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

globalnavigator

Reaction score
I made a batch of DangerDave's 4 years ago and have all the additives still. All were purchased from a local supplier who has closed their location that was near me. They have been stored loose in small ziploc bags. Are all (any) of these still good to use -

• tannin powder
  • yeast nutrient
  • pectic enzyme
  • fermaid K
  • Sorbistat K (potassium sorbate)
  • potassium metabisulfite
  • sparkolloid

thanks in advance!

The potassium sorbate should be replaced. The enzymes may also need to be replaced if you need to use it. The others should be ok if they look ok. If they have been kept dry and in the dark, they should still be free flowing and not caked up and should be fine. But, if you doubt anything, you should replace it.

By the way, I never add tannin to my dragon's blood. Also, this is a wine that almost always clears quickly to a brilliant clarity without any fining agents. I've never had to use sparkolloid.

Minimum yeast nutrients to make sure it ferments well. Metabisulfite as usual is necessary in all winemaking, IMHO. And you will need sorbate if you plan to finish it sweetened. That's all I use.

Latest posts

Back