Can i steal my neighbors overgrowth?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sure. And you used to read those magazines for the articles, right? :cool:
I’m SERIOUS!! Lol. It’s fun diving into a hobby, researching different aspects, and learning all the little nuances involved to do it properly. And equally fun to show up to a party with a giant batch of cookies to share. We would only save a small amount to have for a rainy day.

But the actual act of indulging? I’m a sissy nowadays and decline any offers 99% of the time. Only partake when all things align. The right situation in the right setting with the right people.
Oh and btw—- Playboy had some talented writers with legit articles. So yeah, I did use those magazines for the articles! 😎

I’m SERIOUS!! Lol. It’s fun diving into a hobby, researching different aspects, and learning all the little nuances involved to do it properly. And equally fun to show up to a party with a giant batch of cookies to share. We would only save a small amount to have for a rainy day.

But the actual act of indulging? I’m a sissy nowadays and decline any offers 99% of the time. Only partake when all things align. The right situation in the right setting with the right people.
Oh and btw—- Playboy had some talented writers with legit articles. So yeah, I did use those magazines for the articles! 😎

I only read quantum physics journals for the particles. :)

I will interpret, you need some root system for the vine to continue to live, this can be in the ground or in a pot like device. ,,, Simply clipping the vegetative vine would kill ALL the vine above the cut! As with other plants there needs to be balance between moisture loss from leaves and the size of the root ball.
But I am confused by your comment. how can I establish new roots in the ground before cutting from mother vine? Or even know they’re there if buried?

I will interpret, you need some root system for the vine to continue to live, this can be in the ground or in a pot like device. ,,, Simply clipping the vegetative vine would kill ALL the vine above the cut! As with other plants there needs to be balance between moisture loss from leaves and the size of the root ball.

In hindsight it was a stupid question. My understanding of layering was way off and 5 minutes of research pretty much set me straight. And actually it’s much less complicated than I realized. I plan to wound and bury to main trunk where it is currently. And also bury a couple other sections into small pots for 3 or 4 separate rooted vines.
The soil in this location isn’t exactly the best though. Thinking I will dig out much larger than needed holes and back fill with some standard topsoil. Unless something specific is recommended. And I’m just using potting soil for the pots.

Here goes nothing.

grapes do well in poor/ dry soil. They are a deep rooted plant. The issue is to have enough moisture to get them started. You probably could have a pile of compost shoveled over the vine in target spots for roots, water every day till fall and you would have the plants.
In hindsight it was a stupid question. My understanding of layering was way off and 5 minutes of research pretty much set me straight. And actually it’s much less complicated than I realized. I plan to wound and bury to main trunk where it is currently. And also bury a couple other sections into small pots for 3 or 4 separate rooted vines.
The soil in this location isn’t exactly the best though. Thinking I will dig out much larger than needed holes and back fill with some standard topsoil. Unless something specific is recommended. And I’m just using potting soil for the pots.

Here goes nothing.

Been seeing these little guys for over a month. Didn’t think anything of it. Seemed harmless. Hanging on the stems and behind leaves.

saw larger one today with red coloring. Realizing it’s the spotted lantern fly. They are back! Damn things were like a plague last summer and was quite disgusting despite vibrant colors. couldn’t walk 2 steps without seeing one. Even in the inner city and parking lots. Just everywhere in southeastern PA and south Jersey. Looks inevitable to happen again.DDB20BA6-45C5-4782-B1FD-9F7E6CF835EC.jpeg50CD4975-55F5-4F92-9D62-6147C5A05519.jpegDBFEF3FA-25F3-4BDC-9C21-658FC29DE589.jpeg903BBA95-2C37-4BE3-B534-B7C7C01426EA.jpeg

Upon closer inspection they’re freaking everywhere. My county is already considered a “quarantine county” so no need to report. What I thought was a fungus on my front trees was actually spotted lanternfly egg nests. Dozens. Looking closer— all my neighbors trees also have dozens them. Each nest had 100’s of eggs. They can be known to leave a honey like residue on plants which can lead to fungus but otherwise they’re more of an annoyance than anything just from the sheer amount that appear.
last summer felt like a biblical plague.

I blame China ……again

Layering going well I think. 6 total attempts. 3 hanging pots
1 mound at main “trunk”
And added 2 others long sections I wounded & buried

Blue pot died on me. But can see growth sprouting up so I assume all others are rooting nicely. Been watering every day.

I know there’s pruning that would encourage root development—but don’t wanna screw it up. Do I remove leaves before or after the layer? Would dropping all the grapes benefit roots?
(& Check out the Spotted lanternfly invasion!)
F9B91DD5-D65F-475F-9409-81EAC2C8764D.jpeg8FCB7FA8-4825-4D93-B187-766E594D550B.jpegA9BCAFAF-ACA8-4504-9F9F-BA8450FB3385.gif

Last edited:
@Ajmassa hows the rooting going?
Pretty good I think. Thanks for askin.
I’ll just throw a full update up and anything you think I’m doing wrong or need to know feel free to tell me.

It’s difficult to know how well it’s going for certain since all the progress is happening under the soil. But as long as I see growth after the layer then I can assuming the roots are continuing to establish. Plus I adjusted one of the ground layers last week and I can confirm that roots are growing under there. I also re-layered the pot that died a week ago.

Been watering every day. Topped up the soil. I have 6 separate layers now. The main “trunk” buried in a mound. 2 others buried next that. And 3 hanging pots.
Started tinkering and removed a bunch of leaves before the layer on a couple of them. Figured the growth would concentrate to the roots. I think I read that somewhere

If there’s cutting/pruning that could be done to help I’m unaware. Remember this is all off of one vine. All layers except one are on shoots after the fruit. The main “trunk” mound is technically a cordon I think. I’m just hoping once replanted it will eventually act as it’s own new vine. not it’s own new isolated fruitless shoot lol. Not getting my hopes up
the fruit coming in started Verasion. But also a lot of shriveling and dropping. No picturesque clusters anymore. But also I did zero TLC for that. Only the layering.

Ultimate goal is to get 3 or 4 of my own vines out of it. As far as when to remove from vine and replant and hoping they take? No idea. Just winging it. I guess I anticipated end of summer. But haven’t researched that far yet.

Oh and the spotted lanternfly’s are brutal. I’d say 50% have grown their wings now. And they get more brazen forcing body checks before walking away! Been killing them at will. Next year I will get to the egg nests before they hatch hopefully alleviating the takeover a bit. Grapevines seem to attract every bug known to man I swear. Aside from the Asia invasion Ive had a huge grasshopper living in there, the biggest beetles I’ve ever seen, even saw a cicada hatch from its shell (which was super interesting to see)2A18FC35-D735-48A8-BFF3-E7F77256BD91.jpeg836140A9-785A-42DD-A8FB-4BC53AA7F200.jpeg407530A4-D722-42B4-85DE-4C1ED688F2CD.jpeg

Welcome to growing your own grapes. As luck has it, I've not had to deal with lanternflys yet, but we are being warned to look out for them. Thought about setting traps next year (away from vineyard) to see if any appear. But I have enough other stuff to deal with, especially since I live in fungus hollow. And I have to keep the Japanese Beetles under control too.

Pretty good I think. Thanks for askin.
I’ll just throw a full update up and anything you think I’m doing wrong or need to know feel free to tell me.

It’s difficult to know how well it’s going for certain since all the progress is happening under the soil. But as long as I see growth after the layer then I can assuming the roots are continuing to establish. Plus I adjusted one of the ground layers last week and I can confirm that roots are growing under there. I also re-layered the pot that died a week ago.

Been watering every day. Topped up the soil. I have 6 separate layers now. The main “trunk” buried in a mound. 2 others buried next that. And 3 hanging pots.
Started tinkering and removed a bunch of leaves before the layer on a couple of them. Figured the growth would concentrate to the roots. I think I read that somewhere

If there’s cutting/pruning that could be done to help I’m unaware. Remember this is all off of one vine. All layers except one are on shoots after the fruit. The main “trunk” mound is technically a cordon I think. I’m just hoping once replanted it will eventually act as it’s own new vine. not it’s own new isolated fruitless shoot lol. Not getting my hopes up
the fruit coming in started Verasion. But also a lot of shriveling and dropping. No picturesque clusters anymore. But also I did zero TLC for that. Only the layering.

Ultimate goal is to get 3 or 4 of my own vines out of it. As far as when to remove from vine and replant and hoping they take? No idea. Just winging it. I guess I anticipated end of summer. But haven’t researched that far yet.
Cool beans… sounds like it’s going really well that’s good news! The first few years of my replantings I cut the fruit off to help the vine focus more on the root system. You still have the main cordon though from the trunk mound. Nice!

Welcome to growing your own grapes. As luck has it, I've not had to deal with lanternflys yet, but we are being warned to look out for them. Thought about setting traps next year (away from vineyard) to see if any appear. But I have enough other stuff to deal with, especially since I live in fungus hollow. And I have to keep the Japanese Beetles under control too.
I’m curious about what you do for JB. I have a tiny micro vineyard by any comparison, and so I can go around and dump them into a bucket of water with some soap in it, but two years ago I scattered nematodes around too. No idea if they helped but I was doing yard work and noticed a ton of grubs. I tried to look up if they were the JB grubs and it seemed so. Doesn’t do anything for the neighbors yards of course but it made me feel like I was doing something. They don’t seem so prevalent this year either. I also spray with mancozeb and stylet oil.

I’m curious about what you do for JB. I have a tiny micro vineyard by any comparison, and so I can go around and dump them into a bucket of water with some soap in it, but two years ago I scattered nematodes around too. No idea if they helped but I was doing yard work and noticed a ton of grubs. I tried to look up if they were the JB grubs and it seemed so. Doesn’t do anything for the neighbors yards of course but it made me feel like I was doing something. They don’t seem so prevalent this year either. I also spray with mancozeb and stylet oil.
I have a 3 pronged approach. First I spray with Garden Tech Sevin (Zeta-Cypermethrin based) when first spotted. Second, I treat in and around the vineyard area with milky spore. Lastly, I set traps out and away from the vines if I start to see a lot of pressure. This year, no traps as the first 2 steps has taken a toll over the years. This year I also just carried a small bucket of soapy water just to make sure any beetles I saw got a good bath. If you are not experiencing a lot of beetles and you can do a walk thru daily, then a bucket of soap water may be all you need. We beetles first found my vines, they were coming in by the bus load.

One other thought, mancozeb is great, but it has a 66 day pre harvest interval, so if there is fruit, shift to something else so you can harvest safely. I do spray mancozeb after harvest though as it's very effective.

Latest posts

Back