can I save this batch?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VANDOVJV11

Junior
Reaction score
Not a big deal because this is just a one gallon experimental batch but I hate to throw anything away. I started some plum wine at S G 1.090. Stuff happened that kept me away for eight days and the S G had dropped to almost 1.00 by the time I could get in to a secondary container with airlock. Naturally it tastes like a wine that had been left open for a couple days which I guess means it's oxidized. Is there anything I can do to improve it enough to be drinkable when it is finished?

Oxidized? Hardly. Even open, you had too much CO2 being released to be in danger of loosing the whole batch. Move to secondary. My experience tells me you'll be just fine.

I guess my concern is that I had been led to believe that it is best to transfer to secondary at 1.030 SG. I assumed that this is because below that SG there is not enough C02 being released. Thanks for your reply. I feel better about the situation now.

I ferment in a fermenting bucket with a towel covering the opening, when sg gets between 1.010 and 1.000 I rack to a carboy.

Latest posts

Back