Can I restart fermentation after adding campden tablets?

Discussion in 'Meads' started by ringmany, Jun 10, 2019.

Wine Making Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk by donating:

1. Jun 10, 2019 #1

ringmany

ringmany

ringmany

Hi everyone,

I decided to start making 'Joes ancient orange mead (Mike's Modern).

https://www.winemakingtalk.com/threads/mikes-modern-orange-mead.12492/

I added all the ingredients, using D-47 yeast. I then left it, along with another grape mead for 3 months. The grape mead turned out fine.

However, I thought I already took the gravity of the orange mead, thinking it was done, I mistakely added 2 campden tablets as I was about to bottle. Taking a gravity reading it's currently 1.090, so it looks like fermentation never started.

I've tried adding dried active yeast, nothing. A couple days ago, I added 5 yeast B1 nutrient tablets, then EC-1118 yeast. Still nothing has happened.

Is it possible for me restart, or even start the fermentation at this stage? All the honey was incredibly expensive, so I'd like to try and salvage this if possible.

Thanks.

2. Jun 11, 2019 #2

Arne

Arne

Arne

Quick question with this. What was your starting gravity. If it was high enough, it might of fermented and stopped at 1.090. Just a thought ,
    Arne.

3. Jun 11, 2019 #3

NorCal

NorCal

NorCal

Super Moderator Super Moderator

I would give the must a vigorous splash rack, binding a good portion of the free SO2 with oxygen. I would then make a separate starter and after getting a good fermentation going, pitch it into the must.

BernardSmith likes this.