Can I refreeze my fruit

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DiscoStu

Reaction score
I'm making several batches of a variety of berries in the next month blue black straw black rass. I wanted to know if I could refreeze the berries after fermentation and then when I'm done with the first wine take the 12-15#s and make a mixed berry port with it or something along those line. I do all one gallon batches. Anyone ever freeze fruit after fermentation before?

I'm making several batches of a variety of berries in the next month blue black straw black rass. I wanted to know if I could refreeze the berries after fermentation and then when I'm done with the first wine take the 12-15#s and make a mixed berry port with it or something along those line. I do all one gallon batches. Anyone ever freeze fruit after fermentation before?

I have done this many times, not to make a port, but to make a "seconds" wine. For body, there is usually either some grape concentrate in there (white only - red Concord is too foxy) or bananas (simmered and strained) or both.

Basically I am making a second wine but combining the must from 4 batches. I was thinking of adding 1/2 or a whole can of welchs. I figured I would make the must let it sit over night then add welchs based on what I end up with. I'm not sure about the yeast though. 2 batches will be 71b-1122. Bourgeois RC212 and I've never made a blue. So I'm open to suggestions. I second wine must will be 2 to 3 different strains. I'm guessing I should try to kill all the yeast on the must and start over. Boil the water dump it over the must then sulfite? Or spend a whole day making a starter and try to over power the other strains. Or let the must make a mutant and see what happens.

Every time I've done it I just pitch the yeast per usual and let 'er rip. I haven't done one with so much malic that I needed to knock it back with 71B. If that's the issue, then you could boil the water.

Sulfite I think is more for wild yeasts...wind yeasts are more tolerant of sulfite. I wouldn't bother with it until post AF in a seconds wine.

Thx again it's been hard to find any info on this. I got about a month before I'm finished with all my first wines before I reuse the must for this experiment. I'm leaning towards a dragons blood as the second wine to fall back on. But I won't know anything till I start. Any idea what kind of residual sugar I would get from 12+ #s is must in a gallon for a second wine. Or at least the OG of a must from a second wine without sugar additions. Bad news is if the second wine comes out amazing it will be next to impossible to duplicate. I will update during fermentation and beyond.

Thx again it's been hard to find any info on this. I got about a month before I'm finished with all my first wines before I reuse the must for this experiment. I'm leaning towards a dragons blood as the second wine to fall back on. But I won't know anything till I start. Any idea what kind of residual sugar I would get from 12+ #s is must in a gallon for a second wine. Or at least the OG of a must from a second wine without sugar additions. Bad news is if the second wine comes out amazing it will be next to impossible to duplicate. I will update during fermentation and beyond.

I think you will find that you don't have much residual sugar at all.

Latest posts

Back