can I make my own juice

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wildberry

Junior
Reaction score
I have a champion juicer. would it work to make my own juice for wine? or do I need to use the whole fruit?
I have 2 carboys going now with juice from a wine store. this is the first try for me.
a camping friend turn me on to making wine. I never liked wine till I tried hers.
Wildberry

I guess that you surely can make wine from fruit which has been juiced in such a manner.

If you have been studying the wine making process, once the primary fermentation (in its open topped vat, tub, bucket) is complete, the fruits juice is then separated from the pulp/meat of its fruit and racked (transfered) into the secondary fermenter.

The finer the fruit is chopped, the more sediment you will be forced to deal with during the racking and bottling steps, though.

oxeye

I've blended fruit to get the juices out, and it has come out way too fine and has been a pain to strain, and I'm sure a juicer would make even finer pulp. What I usually do now is to blend the fruit very coursely so it will be easy to strain, let it sit in the water (if you're using water) overnight, then strain it out.

I juice my own fruit with a steam juicer. Used it with strawberries and elderberries so far with no problems. You can get them for under $100 on amazon.com. Just make sure you get the stainless one vs the aluminum. If you don't want to go the juicing route, you can freeze the fruit, chop, then place fruit in to a bag which helps to contain heavy chunks. I've done this route with apples and strawberries as well.

Latest posts

Back