Can I make a bit of port style from my Petite Syrah

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

geek

Still lost.....
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can I make a bit of port style from my Petite Sirah

I have a PS batch, about 6 gallons that I made 2 years ago, went through MLF and all that; it's been through my small oak Vadai barrel 2 times.

Last time I checked the pH was high in the 3.9x

So, wondering and thinking about making a small portion as a port, like a gallon.

Never done this from a wine that has gone through MLF, only with port kits.

How would you make a 1gal port? Just add simple syrup and ever clear?

Last edited:
I'd consider using a grape concentrate to sweeten and maybe brandy for fortification. Everclear should work though; but with that, I'd certainly use the grape concentrate.

Edit: removed bad advice regarding sorbate. :i

Last edited:
Petite Sirah (note it is Syrah, but never Petite Syrah) is a great grape for port. It is dark, tannic, full of body. I would take your wine, add sugar/SS until 6/7 brix, then add 40% abv alcohol (do Brandy!) in a ratio of 2.6 wine to 1 part Brandy. The net will be right at 20% abv and a nicely balanced port.

Did you forget I made around 8 gallons out of some of my Petit Sirah wine from 2012? Stuff was like 15.5%vABV by itself. I used brandy and some Alexanders Zinfandel concentrate to sweeten. :db

IMG_0491.jpg

Did you forget I made around 8 gallons out of some of my Petit Sirah wine from 2012? Stuff was like 15.5%vABV by itself. I used brandy and some Alexanders Zinfandel concentrate to sweeten. :db

Oh....that one, yes of course I forgot since I never got that bottle from you... :)

Petite Sirah (note it is Syrah, but never Petite Syrah) is a great grape for port. It is dark, tannic, full of body. I would take your wine, add sugar/SS until 6/7 brix, then add 40% abv alcohol (do Brandy!) in a ratio of 2.6 wine to 1 part Brandy. The net will be right at 20% abv and a nicely balanced port.

Yeas, this is the darkest wine ever..!!

I'd like to experiment with only 1 gallon so need to figure out the ratio for such a small batch.

I think I like the idea to use grape juice concentrate instead of plain sugar (simple syrup); if then use the frozen can from Walmart, or?

I think I like the idea to use grape juice concentrate instead of plain sugar (simple syrup); if then use the frozen can from Walmart, or?

NOOOO! :D You'll have to spend a little money, but get a 'real' concentrate of wine grape juice. Homewinery.com or some similar place.

NOOOO! :D You'll have to spend a little money, but get a 'real' concentrate of wine grape juice. Homewinery.com or some similar place.

I see, let me check Label Peelers and see if they have any.
The Homewinery site shows 64oz concentrates (to make 5gal of wine) and obviously that would be too much for a 1gal port recipe.

But I just saw they also have pints so that may work out.

I see, let me check Label Peelers and see if they have any.
The Homewinery site shows 64oz concentrates (to make 5gal of wine) and obviously that would be too much for a 1gal port recipe.

But I just saw they also have pints so that may work out.

I bought pints when I did my blueberry port. Again, it wasn't cheap, but I didn't want to go with sugar or simple syrup.

The concentrate sold at LP is also available at my closest home brew supply store (25 miles one way) for $20, it is basically 1 liter which is way more than what I need but maybe I'll make 2 gallons instead...:D

Now I just need to figure out some ratio.

Do you have notes from your blueberry port on how much wine used, how much concentrate and how much brandy?

I ended up using 1/2 pint of Merlot concentrate, 1/2 pint of blueberry, and 375ml of brandy to a ~3gallon batch. ABV was just south of 18% from fermentation.

Thanks Jim, that gives me a more narrow ballpark; I wouldn't think that .375ml of brandy would boost the ABV that much in a 3gal batch, but guess it depends on how high your blueberry wine ended up.

I guess I may end up making more than 1gal after all if I buy the 1L red grape concentrate and the .750ml bottle of brandy.

Finally got to make this..
-1.75L bottle of E&J 40% VSOP brandy.
-1gal of Petite Sirah wine (not exactly but very close)
-maybe around 65% of the 1L grape concentrate, perhaps a tiny bit more. Just poured out of bag into the mix so I didn't measure it exactly.

The SG came up to ~1.020 but it doesn't really taste too sweet at all, the brandy is over powering the flavor a bit.
The wife likes it , I like it.

Ended with 1.5gal of product and a bit more to sip... [emoji4]

Thanks Paul for helping dial in this deeper with all the calculations. @sour_grapes

I'm leaving this alone for a while so it integrates better and then will bottle, hopefully no re-fermentation will occur.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back