Can I leave fruit wine in the primary fermentation jug too long?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drunkjohn12

Junior
Reaction score
Hi all. I'm new to this if you can't tell by the question. I made some strawberry wine this summer. I have a one gallon primary fermentation jug. Long story short, I was supposed to leave it in there for 6 weeks(??) for primary fermentation before bottling it. I never got around to bottling it. I just got busy and kept putting it off until next week and now it is like 4 months later. My question is if it is still good? Should I just bottle it now? I'd hate to just toss it and start over.

Thanks for your help!

-John

Not sure where you heard you were supposed to leave it for 6 weeks. That's a long time for primary. I would find a better set of instructions next time.

I would carefully siphon off the wine from the lees and smell it, then taste it if it doesn't smell terrible. If it tastes good, it is good.

Well I've never done a kit so I don't know about that. I'm sure someone else with kit experience can answer this. I understand that sometimes kits try to simplify things as much as possible.

Generally it is good to rack off the lees in the primary as soon as primary fermentation is finished or nearly so. Use a hydrometer.

Back