Can I degas after clarifier were added

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

relaurain

Junior
Reaction score
Wine still gassy but clarifier was added, will stirring it up kill the effect?
Should I just let it sit for a few weeks and then rack it?
Would bulk aging the carboy clear it and degas it but how do I test it to make sure it doesn't spoil?

You should always degas fully before attempting clarification....the CO2 throws off the clarification process.

That said....I see no reason why you can't give degassing a try and then attempt clarification again.

I would see if it starts clearing and if so leave it alone and degas better after racking off the sediment. If it doesnt clear then by all means degas well and give it a good stirring and let the fining agent try again.

On my Winexpert kit, it told me that I'll be degassing a couple of times. First stirring is after adding the potassium metabisulphite and potassium sorbate. The second time is after adding the clarifier (chitosan or isingglass).

Personally, I did it 3 times. Once before adding anything, then after the potassiums, and the 3rd was after the clarifier was added. If I could do it all over again, I would degass 2x really well - but not after adding the issingglass. It got pretty foamy and i just got this feeling that it wasn't going as well as it did the previous 2 times after the clarifier was added.

Latest posts

Back