Can I correct for Insipid Cider After Starting primary fermentation

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pat92

Junior
Reaction score
Hello,
I hope this is okay to post here, I understand making cider is closer to making fruit wine than it is to brewing beer.

BACKGROUND:
First time posting, third time making cider. I just started several batches of cider (17 gallons total) and I realized hours after starting the primary fermentation that my cheap PH meter was not even close to being accurate, when I went to wash it I noticed that in water it was reading 5.0, even in new distilled water. Unfortunately I had already adjusted the PH of my juice based on this reading. So I ordered strips, they just came about 48 hours after starting primary fermentation.

MY QUESTION:
Right now my cider is at about 4.5 PH, I was hoping for about 3.7. The fermentation seems to be going strong. I have some malic acid I could add, should I add it now, wait till after primary is done, or just not add it. Also on 2 of the 5 batches I am planning on adding some malolactic bacteria, I feel like I should definitely add some to those batches so that the bacteria has something to convert but when is the best time to add it (obviously the best time would have been before starting primary ferm, but its too late for that). Also in general I like melow dry ciders.

Thanks in advance,
Pat

Hi Pat, and welcome. I see that no one has offered any suggestions. I am no expert but here's my thinking. pH is more an issue around ensuring the juice won't spoil through bacterial action and an issue around the inhibition of oxidation when you store /age the wine or cider. Taste has little to do with the pH and everything to do with the TA (titratable acidity) and TA has nothing to do with the strength of the acids in the wine - that is pH and everything to do with the amount (quantity) of acids. You can have a lot of weak acid (high pH) and you can have small amount of strong acid (low pH). The first will taste tart, the second will taste bland.
Okay... That said, knowing that the pH is relatively high, it is likely to drop through the process of fermentation. So at this stage I would not be overly concerned. My suggestion would be to allow your cider to ferment dry and monitor the pH and the TA. Malic is a strong acid - and apples (as I think you are suggesting you know) is their main acid). Malic is a harsh acid and when it converts to lactic acid the cider mellows wonderfully. Not sure what yeast you are using but some yeasts, 71B for example, have the fascinating ability to convert malic acid to ethanol.. so it may drop the TA level (You want a TA of about 6.5 g/L (that is grams of acid /liter of cider)

Latest posts

Back