can I bottle yet

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Laurie

Reaction score
Hey there, I have a sweet cherry wine that has stopped fermenting at 1.014 and has been there for a month or more and the airlock had evened out so I added campden and sorbate and stirred well. The wine is clear but the airlock is now back under pressure. Can I bottle or do I need to wait. I degassed a few weeks ago. Maybe not enough?

Sounds like it could still be a bit gassy.. have you checked the SG since you added the sorbate and sulphite?..Sometimes changes in air pressure can have an effect on your airlock too.

Allie

I'm betting that it NEEDS degassing. Whip it up I bet it will improve.

Airlocks can also change pressure due to barometric pressure changes.

I did check the sg and it is holding steady. I will stir again and see if that helps. Interesting about the barametric pressure thing. We do have a big storm coming in. hmmm? :)

Sometimes with big storms the pressure can cause wine to go right up the airlock depending on hpw full your carby is and thats a big reasont to keep either fresh water in the airlock or even better vodka or a sulfite solution. Stagnant water can develope bacteria and then when the pressure goes back down suck the fluid back out of the airlock back into your wine.

Latest posts

Back