Can I back sweeten with a fruit cordial?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Goatherd

Junior
Reaction score
I'm making a red wine with black table grapes and some elderberry and blackberry.

I want a sweet wine, with rich fruity flavours.

Looking ahead to back sweetening, I had the idea of using a rich dark fruit cordial, like blackcurrant, or a mixed berry cordial, as part or all of the back sweetening sugar.

There's a bit of water going in here in the form of sugar syrup in the primary ferment, and I'd like to ensure that the finished wine is dark and well flavoured.

Is this a good idea, or a really bad idea?
Any guidelines for how much fruit syrup to use in this case?

I’ve used concentrated juice to back sweeten. You will have to test a sample with a small amount of the cordial to determine the amount to use.

I'm making a red wine with black table grapes and some elderberry and blackberry.

I want a sweet wine, with rich fruity flavours.

Looking ahead to back sweetening, I had the idea of using a rich dark fruit cordial, like blackcurrant, or a mixed berry cordial, as part or all of the back sweetening sugar.

There's a bit of water going in here in the form of sugar syrup in the primary ferment, and I'd like to ensure that the finished wine is dark and well flavoured.

Is this a good idea, or a really bad idea?
Any guidelines for how much fruit syrup to use in this case?
Sounds delicious.

The best way to ensure the wine is dark and well flavored is to start with lots of fruit. For wine grapes, no water is needed. For table grapes, I can't say, but I'd go with no water. For most fruit wines, the general recommendation is 5 to 8 lbs of fruit per gallon of water. For elderberry, the folks that make it often say you can go with as little as 4 lbs per gallon. Based upon the description of your desired result, I'd go high on fruit, possibly above the indicated amounts.

If you've already started with a lesser amount of fruit, the cordial will probably be needed to hit your target. If this batch doesn't turn out as good as you want, increase the fruit the next time.

Sweetening with a cordial? This is more complex than sweetening with sugar, as you're introducing a new flavor. I'd test this in a small sample to ensure the flavors mesh the way you hope they will. Chances are you'll get something pleasing, but caution is best. It's far easier to add more than take some out, so taste testing on a small sample is less risky.

I suggest sweetening with the cordial first, to get the taste right. There are numerous methods for sweetening a wine, but I suggest you add a small amount of the cordial, stir well, and taste. Repeat until you are satisfied with the taste.

If the wine is not sweet enough but the taste is good? Use the same method with sugar syrup. Boil 1 part water, add 2 parts sugar and stir until clear. Cool to room temperature. You didn't mention how large the batch is, so I can't offer any suggestion regarding how much syrup to make. Also, I prefer less sweet, so I'm even less qualified to offer advice regarding how much.
;)

Adding cordial or sugar syrup in small amount, stirring, and tasting should work fine. You'll find the level you need.

Latest posts

Back