Can fining and stabilizing wait a week?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaniJ323

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I'm new to wine making and looking forward to tasting my new creation!

My question is this... I am about to enter stage 3 of my wine kit, Fining and stabilizing. The instructions say 10 days after stage 2 to check the Specific gravity, and once it has been stable for 2 consecutive days to begin fining and stabilizing. However i am going out of town for a week on business, can this wait till I get home? or should i have my husband do it?
Also, it's only been 6 days, but my S.G. is already at 0.992. I could do it the day before i leave (day 9) or would it be more beneficial to the wine to let it sit a week?

Thanks for the feedback ;0)

If you have two consecutive days of the same sg reading you could go ahead and do it. Personally I would wait until you came back home to do it and give it a little bit more time.

pop the lid down and stick an airlock on it. It should be fine

Yep, snap on a lid with an airlock preferably and get to it as soon as you return. Normally you would be best to attend to it now but CO2 will protect it a few days. Keep it in a cool out of sunlight/heat area.

Yeah i would wait until you get back - like said before - put a lid on with an airlock - tend to it when you get back.

DaniJ323, What kit do you have (Brand). I am assuming this is a Wine Expert since you mentioned step 2 and going onto step three. If this is the case you are already off the gross lees and into the carboy. In this case you are fine to wait. Just keep the water in the air lock.

DaniJ323:

It is always best to mention the exact kit that you are making because kit instructions are different company to company, and sometimes within a company's brands.

In this case, I believe that you have the wine under air-lock in a carboy already. If so, leave it until you get back. Once in a carboy, it's always best to be patient and let the wine sit a while longer.

Steve

I agree with above but it will be fine either way as I always let it sit on the fining agents another week more then stated any way to let them compact more so that when you rack off they arent as easily disturbed.

Thanks for the replies!!
Yes, it is a wine expert kit (piesporter to be exact). I do have it racked to the carboy with an airlock.
I will take your advise, wait till I come home to clairify it. Thank you everyone!!
Bottoms up :0)

I've just realized that I do have quite a bit of head space in the carboy. And I believe that the fermenting is pretty much done. Will this cause it to spoil while I'm gone? The kit says specifically not to top it off at this point.

Latest posts

Back