Can fining and stabilizing wait a week?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

DaniJ323

Member
Joined
Aug 4, 2010
Messages
69
Reaction score
0
Hi everyone, I'm new to wine making and looking forward to tasting my new creation!

My question is this... I am about to enter stage 3 of my wine kit, Fining and stabilizing. The instructions say 10 days after stage 2 to check the Specific gravity, and once it has been stable for 2 consecutive days to begin fining and stabilizing. However i am going out of town for a week on business, can this wait till I get home? or should i have my husband do it?
Also, it's only been 6 days, but my S.G. is already at 0.992. I could do it the day before i leave (day 9) or would it be more beneficial to the wine to let it sit a week?

Thanks for the feedback ;0)
 

Runningwolf

Super Moderator
Joined
Mar 1, 2009
Messages
20,303
Reaction score
2,215
If you have two consecutive days of the same sg reading you could go ahead and do it. Personally I would wait until you came back home to do it and give it a little bit more time.
 

xanxer82

Senior Member
Joined
Oct 14, 2009
Messages
1,862
Reaction score
10
pop the lid down and stick an airlock on it. It should be fine
 

djrockinsteve

Senior Member
Joined
Jan 2, 2010
Messages
4,911
Reaction score
153
Yep, snap on a lid with an airlock preferably and get to it as soon as you return. Normally you would be best to attend to it now but CO2 will protect it a few days. Keep it in a cool out of sunlight/heat area.
 

winemaker_3352

Senior Member
Joined
Feb 21, 2010
Messages
5,432
Reaction score
53
Yeah i would wait until you get back - like said before - put a lid on with an airlock - tend to it when you get back.
 

Runningwolf

Super Moderator
Joined
Mar 1, 2009
Messages
20,303
Reaction score
2,215
DaniJ323, What kit do you have (Brand). I am assuming this is a Wine Expert since you mentioned step 2 and going onto step three. If this is the case you are already off the gross lees and into the carboy. In this case you are fine to wait. Just keep the water in the air lock.
 

cpfan

Senior Member
Joined
Nov 5, 2006
Messages
4,867
Reaction score
196
DaniJ323:

It is always best to mention the exact kit that you are making because kit instructions are different company to company, and sometimes within a company's brands.

In this case, I believe that you have the wine under air-lock in a carboy already. If so, leave it until you get back. Once in a carboy, it's always best to be patient and let the wine sit a while longer.

Steve
 

Wade E

Premium
Joined
Jul 3, 2006
Messages
33,224
Reaction score
283
I agree with above but it will be fine either way as I always let it sit on the fining agents another week more then stated any way to let them compact more so that when you rack off they arent as easily disturbed.
 

DaniJ323

Member
Joined
Aug 4, 2010
Messages
69
Reaction score
0
Thanks for the replies!!
Yes, it is a wine expert kit (piesporter to be exact). I do have it racked to the carboy with an airlock.
I will take your advise, wait till I come home to clairify it. Thank you everyone!!
Bottoms up :0)
 

DaniJ323

Member
Joined
Aug 4, 2010
Messages
69
Reaction score
0
I've just realized that I do have quite a bit of head space in the carboy. And I believe that the fermenting is pretty much done. Will this cause it to spoil while I'm gone? The kit says specifically not to top it off at this point.
 

Latest posts

Top