Can Back-sweetening settle out?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wyntheef

grunt
Reaction score
I back-sweetened my pineapple wine with a boiled-down syrup made from pineapple juice and sugar to 1.000 sg. A few days later, crystal looking sediment started showing up in the bottom of the carboy. When I rechecked the sg, it was back to .992.
I'm not too worried about it. the wine is clearing beatifully and I figure I can always sweeten again down the road, but I havent read about this happening to anyone, so I wanted to ask, has anyone run into this before?
Should I be concerned?
The wine is at about 65 degrees, so it doesn't sound like what you would get from cold stablizing.
Also, with another few weeks before bottling, would more sorbate be needed if I want to sweeten again?

Steve

The crystals are from undissolved sugar.
In making a f-pac I 1st get a large can of 100% juice and "simmer" it down to 1/2 (you may need more)
My simple syrup is 2 parts sugar to one part water.
Boil water
Add sugar and simmer till clear while whisking it.
I would let your wine clear then add more simple syrup to 1.010

Did you use boiling water and dissolve the sugar in it cause thats what needs to be done. All your sugar is on the bottom of yoyr carboy! I woulod racl off and make sure your sugar is dissolved good this time.

The crystals are from undissolved sugar.
In making a f-pac I 1st get a large can of 100% juice and "simmer" it down to 1/2 (you may need more)
My simple syrup is 2 parts sugar to one part water.
Boil water
Add sugar and simmer till clear while whisking it.
I would let your wine clear then add more simple syrup to 1.010

Thanks Tom. I did simmer this down to roughly a third of what I started with.
I wouldn't have thought any of the sugar would be undissolved after 2 hours on the stovetop. Actually, it was boiled down twice, because this was the leftover juice from when I began and it had been boiled/simmered then as well.

Boil it seperatly next time .
You boiled to long then and started to make "rock" candy.

Did you use boiling water and dissolve the sugar in it cause thats what needs to be done. All your sugar is on the bottom of yoyr carboy! I woulod racl off and make sure your sugar is dissolved good this time.

Are you saying there is a need to rack now Wade? I was going to wait a few weeks before rack and bottle time.

It wont hrt anything by being there so dont worry about that but I dont want you adding more sugar in there and then stirring it all up and getting some of that other sugar dissolved in and over sweetening your wine.

Latest posts

Back