Can anyone tell me what grapevine variety this is?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ricky2Guns

Reaction score
When I picked this up as a young vine I believe it had a Thompson tag on it. I’ve since misplaced it and not really sure if it was a Thompson. It’s the only one I have with a rose color to it. My other Thompsons all budded and leaved 100% green. Also, since it’s the only wirey type I was open to how to train it. I just have it separated like this pending advice.
F3634698-F2BA-4198-A039-E8F546A4E132.jpeg07AB2BCD-C7B2-410E-89E9-D7FFAE1E9974.jpeg34922C8C-955D-460D-94A8-97C10916814A.jpegA494E97C-2FBF-45D8-940D-2264DF782339.jpeg

Very good guys, After extensive searches I found this. Now my concern is that I also read that concord does better in colder areas up north. I’m in zone 8 where we have brutal summers. Not sure how this will work here in El Paso. B66DB19C-2586-4C58-AEC5-832D72242BBD.jpeg

OP, I had a couple of vines i bought from tractor supply just to play with, both were tagged as Thompson Seedless and Both produced large Purple Grapes with seeds so i have no idea what they are. But they resemble concord and look like yours.

So I went down to the Nursery I bought them from last year. They have two varieties that look like mine, the Pinot and the Vanessa. So at this point its anybody's guess.

I wish I could be of more help but I do not have any experience with either Pinot or Vanessa.

At this point your best and most likely only option is to let it grow out some to better make that determination.

Concord will be easy to spot. It will look like a labrusca. Very simple shapes, dark green tops with very fuzzy white bottoms that will turn brownish on older leaves Starting at the veins.

Local nurserys are the worst place in the world for getting grape plants that are marked wrong. When I moved here and wanted to plant a vineyard, I went to a local gardan store, and bought seven catawba vines. Four years later, they matched my concord vines a 100%....go figure!

Latest posts

Back