Can anyone identify this cultivar of grape vine?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello, I've got 4-6 grape vine plants on the property in the Willamette valley of Oregon planted by a previous (deceased) owner. They are not well kept or trimmed and have been growing abandoned for several years. But I'm going to change that around come late fall or winter. Build new trellises (the old ones have collapsed) and trim the vines. They are not new, at least 15 years old. Hardy too since they all seem disease free and are still fruiting despite 0 maintenance and two hard freezing winters in a row follow by scorching summers with no rain or watering.

They are growing in the Willamette Valley in an 8b hardiness zone. The grapes have a strong distinctive flavor and are as I assume one would expect significantly acidic and sweet with one or two large seeds.

Though I realize it's probably impossible to narrow it down to a single cultivar, I wonder if it is possible to get it down to a general grouping of cultivars. I haven't had much luck in definitely identifying what cultivar they are by matching the leaves, but I don't have any experience here.

Here are a few photos I took this afternoon from one of the collapsed vines: http://imgur.com/a/zochx

If anyone could identify these I would very much appreciate it. If you need more information or photos I would be pleased to provide.

Last edited:
Great pictures. I don't have enough experience to say, but you can narrow it down a bit by the color and size of those berries. Are there other wineries nearby where you could grab a few grapes to compare the flavor? Maybe a neighbor knows?

Next best thing would be to make wine from the grapes if it is pinot noir (yeah that's my out on a limb guess) it will be easy to identify.

Not Pinot of any type, myho, but browse up Davis. http://fps.ucdavis.edu/fgrvarieties.cfm#C Looks like concord, but a careful look at leaves, grape shape and bunch configuration will be your best guide. However, since you are in the Willamamette, get some Pinot of your choice, stick em in the ground and enjoy!:b

I would say not Concord. Leave structure is wrong. Berries look right on for it though. If they've been going without spray for a while, it's def not vinifera and with that berry size it has to be some kind of concord-like grape. For some reason the varietal Sunbelt stands out to me. That leave structure reminds me of St. Vincent or Villard Noir. With that region, however, anything is possible.

Latest posts

Back