Can anyone identify the variety of these grapes, please?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wildhair

Reaction score
About 25-30 years ago - I bought a grape vine. I cannot remember if it was a Pink Canadice or a Pink Reliance. I also can't remember where I bought it. May have been Gurney's, might have been Jung's, could have been Stark's.. I remember it was one of the more cold-hardy grapes, which was one of the reasons I got it. I'm in zone 5a (according to the USDA map). It was also a versatile grape - "good for eating fresh, juice, jelly and wine" - so they claimed.

I've looked both Reliance & Canadice up on-line and the descriptions are confusing, sometimes contradictory and not much help. The grapes just fully ripened and I picked 28# from the one vine. I'm leaning toward the Reliance partly because the grapes are round and 1 of the descriptors for the Canadice was the grapes were oval.

Thanks in advance for your help

Attachments

• P1010230.JPG
    P1010230.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 21
  • P1010229.JPG
    P1010229.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 20
  • P1010228.JPG
    P1010228.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 19
Judging by other pictures of Reliance grapes, the leaf shape seems to match better. If It's one or the other, I would have to guess Reliance.

There may be a university extension near you that does identification you can take a cutting and send it in if you want more than a random internet user's best guess ;)

Thanks. I had another guy that grows both varieties tell me the leaf shape (deeply lobed) is more akin to the Canadice. He had some comparison pics from a grape ID database that seemed pretty convincing.
He also said his Reliance grapes had a deeper red color and the Canadice were more pink. I actually found a jar of jelly I made in 2008 from the juice and it was labeled Pink Canadice.

So there you have it - nothing like the Internet to bring about swift and clearcut identification. LOL

Makes me wonder about the Mushrom ID site I belong to........... 🤔

Last edited:
Back