campden

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xxplod

Needs intervention!
Reaction score
do i put campden in at each racking? and wouldent it tend to make it a tad salty? thanks

No - every 3-4 months of bulk aging.
If you are backsweetening add sorbate and campden.

add 1/16 tsp per gallon of wine.

I have switched to Potassium Metabisulfite (called k-meta usually around here), which doesn't have the sodium problem, plus it's a powder and sold by the pound. Generally cheaper. And no sodium, although if you use the recommended amount of campden it shouldn't be a problem.

Both NA meta and K-meta are sold by the lb or bigger and even smaller but actually NA meta is cheaper and is a better sanitizer but even though the small amount we use in our wine is microscopic I prefer to use K-meta just because I feel I dont need any more sodium intake.

What wade said!

I should have said K-meta is cheaper than campden tablets, which is what I meant. But NA-Meta is cheaper by the pound, true.

Also campden comes as sodium or potassium. I think that potassium is more popular. When I ran the store here in Canada, potassium (ie K-mets) was definitely more popular, as most suppliers didn't carry the sodium (Na-meta) version.

Steve

Ok so when i use up the tabs i have i guess i need to get some K-meta --- lets see......what can i make some more wine out of hehehe!!:)

Back