Campden tablets vs. powdered k-meta

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Malkore

Reaction score
Are campden tabs the same amount of sulfite by weight as the powdered form?

In other words, if a recipe says I should add 1.5g of k-meta, can I crush up campden tabs and weigh it out to 1.5g and call it good?

My kit has enough k-meta for 6 months of aging, but says if I age more than 6 months, I need to add a little more k-meta, and I already have a bottle of campden tabs from mead making (and for neutralizing tap water chloramines)

No.
Campton tabet have a different strength compared to the powder form K-meta. So, 1/4tsp per gal of k=meta and 1 tablet per gallon of campten tabs.

I learned the hard way about different strength of these 2 things.. I bought the K-meta & added by what I thought the directions meant!!? So I added 5 teaspoons s of K-meta to a 5 gallon batch!! It never fermented!! Now I use the tablets ONLY!! lol

We all been there some more than others. LOL
Just gos to the saying.. Read, Understand, and follow the directions..
We (group) don't know the strenght of what ea has so what we say is for what we do.

I did that too when i switched over to powder and didnt pay attention using the instructions on a Vinters Harvest wine base can of fruit, if anyone ever tries this brand pay careful attention to theor instructions as its very easy to slip up and OD your wine!

:( No but my sink did as I couldnt get that batch to ever ferment! it was a Marionberry that had no taste out of the can anyway so no big loss, I would not recommend that can to anyone but must say that others are ver good, especially the Black Currant!

Latest posts

Back