Campden Tablet Oops...

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oyarsa

Junior
Reaction score
So, yesterday while I was bottling my wine, my brain must not have been working and I was really struggling. First, thanks to the location of my fermenter I had just racked into, I managed to knock a plastic clothes hanger into the wine. Needless to say, the hanger was not sanitized. I'm sure there are lots of jokes that could be made, but moving on...

For some reason I thought I should add one campden tablet to each bottle of wine, not per gallon. By my calculation, that means I added about 5 times the recommended amount. In my lack of thinking, I managed to forget to do that to about 8 bottles, so those are safe.

For the other 18 bottles, what now? Toss them? Is it just a flavor issue, or safety issue? It's not the end of the world if it gets tossed. It was a very, very old kit and my expectations weren't high...

Even at 5 times the recommended dose, you are not in danger. But that is a lot of sulfite.

I think if it were mine, I would empty those 18 bottles into a bucket, stir/whip it a bit, put it in a carboy of the proper size, and then let it sit for ~1 year.

Heh. I'm not that patient. Would it be of any benefit to let it sit for say a week, or is that not sufficiently long for the sulfite to dissipate?

Heh. I'm not that patient. Would it be of any benefit to let it sit for say a week, or is that not sufficiently long for the sulfite to dissipate?

Not that patient = going to hate winemaking. It’s worth the wait. A week won’t be enough. Let it ride and you’ll be prouder of it.

Make dragons blood for a speedy drinker while you wait.

In a corked bottle youll need to wait 2 years.
No quick way. Many here would wait a year to bottle anyway.

Yes, I'm learning that this will be an exercise in patience as a hobby. This is basically a kit wine spritzer, so hardly anything worth waiting a year even if I was patient. I opened a bottle and tried it out. Doesn't seem to have an off taste or smell. Maybe I didn't destroy it too much...

Sounds like the taste/smell are the only potential issues, right?

Back