Campden at bottling?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LarryW

Reaction score
I was bottling a wine expert reisling kit and added 1 campden per gallon for extra sulfite. I crushed tablets and mixed with warm water then stirred in. The problem is they didn't dissolve all the way and I had a lot of the particles in the last 2 bottles. There was nothing else in the wine as I had just racked carefully.
The campden is a couple years old but stored in a tight container.

What should I do different?

Thats why I like the powder K-Meta. Its easier to dissolve.
Next time put it betwees 2 napkings and smasst it with a meat hammer till you get a powder

i use a pestal amd mortar to crush my tabs to a very fine powder. it works wonderful and i never have an issue.

Thats why I like the powder K-Meta. Its easier to dissolve.
Next time put it betwees 2 napkings and smasst it with a meat hammer till you get a powder

LOL, Tom, sorry I can't help it but this sounds like an anger management lesson. :):):)

campden tabs need to be crushed really finely.. I use a mortar and pestle like Nikki does.

To get it soluble, you then add small amounts of warm to hot water (boiled) and make a paste ( still using the mortar and pestle). add a bit more water till it's definately more of a slurry than paste then siphon some wine into a sanitised measuring cup ( half a cup)... mix into wine thoroughly and then mix the lot back into your carboy.

it's a bit like making gravy for a roast, if that is a useful analogy.

Allie

Back