Cameron Hughes, has anyone tried?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bought a few bottles of different varieties several years ago when Costco was selling it. Since they only by excess wine that could be in bulk, barrels or even already bottled it is completely hit and miss. Everything is usually drinkable but without a current review from some online blogger it becomes much harder to purchase now because you can't pick up a bottle at a local store and try before you buy. The wines are only sold online/mail order now.

My son-in-law read an article in the Wall Street Journal about Cameron Hughes a few years ago. Since then, he has filled his wine cellar with their wines. According to the article he read, Cameron Hughes buys surplus wines from some of the most prestigious wineries, puts his name on the bottle, and sells them at a much lower price than the same vintage with the prestigious winery's label. I've enjoyed tastings from several bottles in his collection and have to admit that they are decent wines. Most of what I've tried have been Cabernet's since that is my son-in-laws favorite wine but I also tasted a Cabernet Franc that was good.

I've heard the Urban Legend that boutique French wineries,once they harvest what they can process, dump the excess in the river to make their product scarce and keep their price up. Seen rotting piles of Cherries in Michigan for the same reason. Are vineyards getting rid of excess but getting some money vs pouring it down the river?

Back