camden tablets and residual so2 stuck fermintation

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lloyd

green grape
Reaction score
I have some fresh pressed cider frozen the trees produced well resulting in about 60 gallons of press. this took some time to complete while the juice was setting on the porch aprox 3 days there was an indication of some wild yeasties dining. we put the appropriate amount of camden tabs per label and froze the juice in 1/2 gal plastic jugs. I took 6 out the other day and set them on the counter for 2 days sealed not opened and they began to bulge. I suspect I have not killed the wild bunch yet. will the so2 build up in the juice if I treat it again? how long after the camden treatment before I put my lalvin ec-1118 in to start my real fermentation?

You would use 1 camden tablet per gallon (pre disolve then add) of must. Blend in and cover with a lid (not air tight though) for 24 hours. This should kill all the bacteria. Then you would be able to add your yeast. I too used the Lalvin EC-1118 with great success.

I hope it sitting out didn't change the taste. I press then immediately add Pot. Meta. (Camden tablets)

The apple cider still is very tasty and its in suspended animation (the freezer) I just want to make sure I get a good kill on things as my first batch got stuck it was good, but the alcohol content was around 5% and It was very sweet i used a vinometer to test for alcohol and realize that the sugar skewed the actual %.

Latest posts

Back