Californians, where do you get your grapes/juice?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zintrigue

Reaction score
I was curious as to where those of you residing in California get your grapes and/or juice and if you're able to purchase some from wineries.

Eventually I'd like to grow my own, but until I get plants established, I'll need to get grapes or juice from somewhere and I'm trying to get a feel for where.

-Zin

I'd go visit a winery, and ask about once used grapes. I bet most toss out the once used and would sell them very cheaply.

You might try Craigslist in your area or surrounding areas for people selling grapes or u-pick type deals. Plenty of places to purchase in and around Lodi for sure.

+1 for Craigslist. I found Gewurtztraminer last year and a smoking deal on Tempranillo this year.

mirabella winerry in san pedro

I get my fresh juice from them. They crush juice every day . If you call them and ask them what is coming in that day, they can let you know. Also, if you tell them what kind of wine juice looking for, when it comes in, they will call you.
Corinth

http://www.marabellavineyard.com/

Well, I checked Craigslist and found one u-pick ad, more than two hours away. I live in the foothills here in California, the closest big city (Modesto) being over an hour away.

I also checked westcoastgrapes.com, their site says their 2015 ordering season is now closed.

MontanaWineGuy - Doesn't "once used" mean done for? Hasn't all of the flavor and sugar been extracted? Apparently I'm in need of some education on this topic.

You guys did give me an idea to call the local wineries, though, and see what I can score off of them. I would imagine the grapes freeze well while waiting for their turn to be fermented?

-Zin

Last year I reused my Elderberries and there was no difference from the first to the second batch. YMMV, IMO, etc...

Despite my first answer, which I stand by, there is also the concept of "second-run wines." In this technique, you add water to the pomace (pressed skins) left over from the first bout of winemaking. There won't be much sugar there, so you add sugar to get you up to the SG you want. The pomace provides a modicum of flavors and tannins.

A related technique is called ripasso. Here, new must is added to the leftover pomace from an earlier batch. Here, the pomace is used to "amp up" the intensity of the second wine.

Latest posts

Back