California Sangiovese Any Good?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dustwheel

Junior
Reaction score
I'm hoping to make a Super Tuscan this year, 85% Sangiovese 15% Shiraz, but I am not familiar with California Sangiovese. In general how does it compare to the Italian Sangiovese? Most importantly the tart cherry component. Thanks All! Mike

That will not be a Super Tuscan but may still be pretty good. I picked and made Sangiovese that is probably close to the best wine I have ever made. It's excellent and grown maybe 25 miles from my house. So it all depends on the quality of the grapes.

My 2020 Sangiovese is about 5% Syrah (same as Shiraz, and from the same vineyard) which contributes body and color. Very prominent black cherry flavor in the Sangiovese.

A "Super Tuscan" is typically Sangiovese blended with Bordeaux grapes like Cabernet and Merlot.

Okay I'll use Merlot.. now I can call it a Super Tuscan LOL. Just hoping that the California Sangiovese has that tart cherry flavor that the Italian grape has. Thanks

There is no legal definition for "Super Tuscan". This blurb is from the Wine Spectator:

So no, not all super Tuscans are made from Cabernet—Ornellaia's Masseto, Tua Rita's Redigaffi and Le Macchiole's Messorio, for instance, are all 100 percent Merlot. Most of them are made with all or some non-indigenous grape varieties, but "super Tuscan" is not a legally defined classification as far as wine regulations go. The term was used for any wine that didn't meet DOC standards—in Chianti Classico, that meant those that didn't blend in white grapes, or that used 100 percent Sangiovese, or that followed different winemaking or aging standards.​

I thought it meant a mixture of Italian native and French grapes, but apparently it's not. The wine needs to be made from grapes grown in Italy or maybe specific to Tuscany.

@Dustwheel, I won't quibble if you want to call your wine "Super Tuscan". @CDrew's definition is as good as any, and for us amateurs, we're not held to the standard that commercial wineries are.

Thanks, I'm a Sangiovese lover and I don't think I've ever had a California one. So just have my fingers crossed that I can pull off a nice Super Tuscan type blend. And after more research, I think the Merlot might be the best way to go to enhance the tart cherry.

California Sangiovese is good I’ve gotten Sangiovese in the past from a friends vineyard and it was very cherry heavy, herbal, good acidity. That cherry thing just seems to be the most prominent characteristic in Sangiovese.

Thanks, I'm a Sangiovese lover and I don't think I've ever had a California one. So just have my fingers crossed that I can pull off a nice Super Tuscan type blend. And after more research, I think the Merlot might be the best way to go to enhance the tart cherry.

You may want to check out some of the wines from Mendocino County. There are several Italian Famiky owned wineries in the area and they grow Italian heritage grapes, Sangiovese, Primitivo, Barbara, Dolcetto. At least one makes a wine they call Uber Tuscan (labeling laws and all that) Brutocao is one I am very familiar with and can be found in many areas.

You may want to check out some of the wines from Mendocino County. There are several Italian Famiky owned wineries in the area and they grow Italian heritage grapes, Sangiovese, Primitivo, Barbara, Dolcetto. At least one makes a wine they call Uber Tuscan (labeling laws and all that) Brutocao is one I am very familiar with and can be found in many areas.
I'll do that thanks!

Likewise you might want to check the Paso Robles area. Several wineries down here are growing Sangiovese. I’ve had the end result and it’s definitely got the cherry flavor. Giornata might be a good starting point.
Yeah it’s still not super popular in Paso though, you can find some sporadic plantings in Paso. It’s usually been used in kinda odd blends on the central coast like I’ve seen a blend of like 60% Sangiovese 30% Zinfandel and 10% Merlot. Saw a blend of 50% Sangiovese, 30% Syrah and 10% Grenache the other day last 10% was a blend of left over wines from other blends

Latest posts

Back