Calibrating my hydrometer

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Teamsterjohn

Reaction score
I just want to make sure of this. I put my hydrometer in water, 60 degrees. My hydrometer read 1.002. So, if my must at the start of a wine kit reads 1.096, now it should read 1.094?

Was that water strait from the tap? My faucet puts out quite a bit of air bubbles. I have to let it sit for about 10 min before reading. Just a thought.

I just want to make sure of this. I put my hydrometer in water, 60 degrees. My hydrometer read 1.002. So, if my must at the start of a wine kit reads 1.096, now it should read 1.094?
Come on John, .094/.096, what's the diff. .002 is 2/1000ths. Your hydrometer is right on. :b

Last edited:
What temperature was the must at?

You have determined a correction factor of .002 at 60F, but the kit was probably warmer than that.

Steve

I'm not implying anything by this question :)

I have hydrometers from two different manufacturers. One lists 68F as the 'zero correction' temp, the other lists 60F as the 'zero correction' temp.

Are you SURE that YOUR hydrometer is zero-correction at 60F?

If the two samples at the exact same temperature, the temp doesn't matter.
In this case, the reference reading is 1.002 at 60 degrees. If the must is also at 60 degrees, it should be 1.096 / 1.002 = 1.094 (rounded).

Did you use distilled water for the initial reading?

Does it matter much? I just started making wine 2 days ago so I don't really know, but my hydrometer is graded in 0.002 increments. You're within standard error unless your meter has more precision.

If the two samples at the exact same temperature, the temp doesn't matter.
In this case, the reference reading is 1.002 at 60 degrees. If the must is also at 60 degrees, it should be 1.096 / 1.002 = 1.094 (rounded).

Did you use distilled water for the initial reading?

Does it matter much? I just started making wine 2 days ago so I don't really know, but my hydrometer is graded in 0.002 increments. You're within standard error unless your meter has more precision.

The way I read the question was this:

He tested his hydro in 60 degree water. It read 1.002. Then the question, "If my hydro reads .002 high in water, then do I adjust my other readings to compensate?"

WOW, all I wanted to know is, am I doing the math right. Thanks Wade. I now know that it being off by.002 may not be a big deal. But I read a post that said you should check to be on the safe side, and thats what I did. And it is zero @ 60F

Latest posts

Back