Calculating Nutrient

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vscottcolorado

Reaction score
I am trying to calculate my nutrient amounts. I am doing fresh grapes roughly 120 lbs. of Cab., Shiraz, and Zin. When they ask for x number of grams per gallon of must, how would this be figured for grapes?

You have to process (crush/press) the grapes and get the juice from them. The juice is called the Must. You then add the prescribed amount of nutrient for the amount of juice on hand. It just all depends on how much juice you get from the grapes.

With the reds, you can't press them before fermenting so it is pointless to do it that way unless you don't want any color. You have enough at 120 pounds for about 8 gallons of must. For that much you need one to two tablespoons of yeast nutrient if DAP is used. I would add one and if the ferment gets sluggish or any off smell detected, add another. Press when fermentation is about complete at about 10-14 days.

This is what I would do:
Calculate based on finished wine. Rates of conversion of fresh grape tofinished winerange from 12 lbs. / gallon to 25 lbs. / gallon. Iuse a rate of 20 lbs. per gallon because I use light pressing.
125 / 20 would yield just over 6 gallons of wine.
Remember that your fresh fruit should have plenty of nutrients anyways.

use "x" amount of nutrient for each gallon.

add 1/3 of this at start of fermentation
add second 1/3 at 1.06 S.G.
add last 1/3 at 1.03 S.G.

Back