Calcium Carbonate

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

G259

Reaction score
I was wondering if antacid chews could be used to lower acidity. Calcium Carbonate is the first ingredient, and I was wondering if any of the other ingredients posed a risk, if high enough. How much do you believe will be beneficial?

Yes, I suppose that these do have a slight fruity flavor, but not a very aggressive one, so I thought they would meld well, if not drop out altogether. It's just something that struck me, and I'm investigating further. 'If I need to lower the acidity, how about an antacid?' I looked at the ingredients, and sure enough, calcium carbonate! This is a community, and the best thing about a community is that, you can bounce ideas off of others who have maybe even tried it! I was referring to a possible 'chemical' risk to the wine, that I did not know about, from the other ingredients.

Last edited:
What variety is the wine? I would use Potassium Carbonate instead of Calcium Carbonate especially if it is a white wine as the calcium will cause tartrate instability in your wine.

No sorry, just a question that I thought of. Had heartburn, chewed a tablet, looked at the label and said 'Hey! . . .'.

. . . just wondering, I had a question, and wondered if anyone else had thought of it.

. . . just wondering, I had a question, and wondered if anyone else had thought of it.
Lol! I went through your same exact thought process before. Noticed wine antacids are the same as agida/heartburn meds.
(calcium carbonate/bicarbonate, potassium carbonate/bicarbonate)
Don’t think it would jeoprodize anything chemically. Just playing Russian roulette with the taste like with Tums flavored. They contain some sodium. But does look like unflavored tums or generics can be straight calcium carbonate

Thanks for that, I like to keep things like that at my disposal - if I really need it, and my supply store is closed (or my car STB!)

Latest posts

Back